Being Comfortable With Your Disability/Impairment

"How can you even hold a pen like that?"

I've heard it from classmates, teachers and even random people; all pointing out the fact that I wrote while holding my pen or pencil a different, more abnormal way than "normal". Rare were the times where I stood up for myself and declared proudly that I'm dyspraxic, but I never wanted to draw attention or become a kid with "special needs".

It took me a while to shake off the initial shame and self-consciousness of being neurodivergent even though I wasn't the only one in my immediate family whose brain was wired that way. After doing an interview with the lovely @spaceface0 about overcoming adversities, I realized that I still faced some of the same things that I was scared could "hold me back".

Knowledge

I still can't believe that Google is absolutely free! It makes it so much easier to find information on certain conditions and disabilities (from a reputable source, of course). I also find it comforting and insightful to see people living with dyspraxia like me or listen to other neurodivergent people and learning from their communities. The possibilities are endless!

Representation

I realized that depending on the media I was exposed to, it nonetheless fed into some of my deep insecurities. When all you see on your screen are able-bodied and neurotypical people, it sends a clear message on what is considered desirable and normal in a person and what is not. That's why I appreciate it when I see characters like Entrapta from She Ra and the Princess of Power, who was coded as autistic but still plays a major part in the series, or even Percy Jackson in the Percy Jackson & the Olympians book series where he and many of the other characters have ADHD combined with dyslexia, but it makes them stronger and more clever in the situations they face rather than burden them.

And that's all for me! Was this insightful? Remember that you are wonderful just the way you are and keep shining, lovelies!

~ MaeShaanaP