Five

So, mice are incredible creatures, as Louis has decided. They can sew and drive. Remarkable.

Louis stepped out of the carriage once they reached the main entrance. Louis really hadn’t thought this through. What if anyone recognizes him? Especially Verna and the boys? How on earth is he going to meet the prince?

Louis nervously walked inside. There were rich people everywhere, and Louis felt like he should be serving them. A young man walked up to him and offered him champagne, which he thankfully took. He walked down to the ballroom where a dance was currently taking place.

There were so many eyes looking at him, he could tell. Was it because he was alone? Was it because they recognized him? He attempted to look as natural as possible before gliding down the stairs and onto the floor. Louis joined in on the dance, just trying to have fun. He didn’t see the prince yet, though he wasn’t really sure what he looked like anyway.

The exciting dance slowed down and everyone coupled into partners and started to dance in circles. Louis started to back away.

“Excuse me?” someone caught Louis’ arm. He turned to meet the eyes of a tall, gorgeous man. Everyone at this ball was gorgeous, but he was by far the most beautiful Louis had seen yet.

“Hi.” Louis said simply, because his mind was elsewhere. The dazzling man had brought him to another world. But finally, Louis had come back to his senses. “Oops, I mean… How can I help you?”

The man laughed (and it was a glorious sound. His laugh could be worked into the most beautiful symphony with its velvety folds and musical tones.) and took Louis’ hand, slightly bowing.

“I was actually wondering if you’d like to have this dance?” The man looked up at Louis through his eyelashes, and to be that beautiful and nervous at the same time seemed impossible to Louis, but the nerves only seemed to enhance the stranger’s beauty.

“Me?” Louis asked stupidly, but he just wanted to make sure the man was talking to him.

“If you’d like.” The gentleman kindly offered again. People were starting to gather, paying little to no attention to Louis, but more observing the man opposite him. Louis sheepishly nodded his head and they walked to the dancefloor.

The man was obviously not a natural dancer, with his giraffe-like limbs that made him teeter when he lost his balance and his incapability to focus on the beat when he seemed to get lost in Louis’ eyes. After silently drooling over this boy for three consecutive songs, Louis had to make conversation.

“You’re a terrible dancer.” is what Louis chose to say. He mentally smacked himself for insulting the nice (and beautiful) man.

The man only smirked as they continued to spin in circles. “Well you’re wonderful, so maybe it evens out.”

“I don’t think that’s how it works.” Louis chuckled. As awkward as Louis tended to be, conversation with this man seemed to flow naturally. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure you can.” He smiled.

“Why did you ask me to dance with you?” Louis asked. “Just curious.”

“Well, I’m required to dance with all possible spouses tonight, and I just wanted to give everyone a chance. I’m positive we haven’t danced before this.”

“Right you are.” Louis agreed. “But… you’re looking for a spouse? Does that mean-”

“Yes. I’m sorry, I never introduced myself. I’m Prince Harry.”

Louis’ mouth dropped. His jaw was on the floor only for a second before he recovered himself, thankfully.

“Don’t worry, there’s no need to bow.” Harry, Prince Harry, chortled and pulled Louis the tiniest bit closer to him.