One

“But you’ll come back, won’t you father?” Louis shed a tear. His father turned around and embraced his only son.

“As soon as the war is over, I promise you, I will return.” His father said with a sad tone in his voice. He let go of his son and went to say goodbye to his new wife. “My love.”

She smiled seemingly sweetly at him as her lanky arms traveled round his shoulders to hug him. “I’ll miss you, darling.” She breathed.

“I’ll write you every day.” He turned to his two stepsons. They looked up, previously distracted by the cat, and both hugged their stepfather at the same time.

Louis caught his father’s glance once more. He smiled at his young boy, only twelve, trying to hold himself together before he walked out the door.

“Well, this is it. I promise I’ll see you all very soon. I love you.” He ruffled his son’s hair and kissed his wife’s cheek before he picked up his bag and walked out to the carriage. Only once inside the closed vehicle did he start to cry, fearing he would never see his family again.

He was right to cry.

Nineteen months had passed until the Tomlinson family had received word of Marcus Tomlinson’s death. All those months, Louis had hoped, prayed to every God that he would see his father once again. The past nineteen months had been terrible for him, but he stayed strong for his father.

After his father left for the war, Louis had been practically dehumanized by his stepfamily. His stepmother and stepbrothers had begun treating him like a servant. They used his father’s riches for their own interest, and left Louis with nothing but rags to wear and crumbs to eat. Louis hated them, but was raised to respect all things.

When the news had come of Marcus’ death, Louis sobbed himself dry. His stepfamily, on the other hand, silently rejoiced. They were in need of money; therefore Verna had to marry into a rich family. Marcus fit the bill, and wedding bells rang just three months after they met. That isn’t much time to fall in love.

So now all of Marcus’ money belonged to Verna, and she greedily kept every cent from Louis. Her two sons, Zayn and Liam, were treated generously by the newly gained money. Verna spoiled them to look as handsome as possible, since they were both looking for rich spouses to marry now. Louis was pushed into the attic, away from the dinner table, and forced to treat his stepfamily like royalty.

Zayn and Liam would taunt him every day. “Clean my shoes” “Fix my bed” “Fetch me this and that”. Louis always did as he was told, though he wished he didn’t have to. His stepbrothers were bad, but his stepmother was the absolute worst.

Verna had a sweetly sickening way of talking to Louis. She would order him around and tell him to do random tasks. But she knew how to be a mother. She would find Louis in corners sometimes, trying to breathe and let his tears out.

“Oh, Louis. What’s the matter?”

Of course Louis wouldn’t blame her for his sadness. He was far too kind. He would sit up and force a smile.

“Nothing, Verna.” He would say.

Verna would pout and run her claw under his jawline. “Louis dear, you know not to call me Verna.”

“Y-yes, mother.” Louis would look away from her pampered skin.

“Is there anything the matter, Louis?”

“No, mother.”

“Oh. Alright then.” Verna would smile. “Then may I suggest you get back to work? Lots of tidying up to do.” She would clap her hands. “And your brothers need help with their ensembles for the party tonight. Lots to do!”