Chapter 9: Kendal

Start from the beginning

"Jay-walking, huh? Usually a judge overlooks that, but its better safe than sorry. I commend you and your family for taking action on the matter."

"Magie's wife felt it would do her good. She needs a little discipline. You know how the help can be sometimes," Starling said with a chuckle.

"Help? She is Owned, correct?"

Starling cleared his throat. "Of course, but we haven't exposed her to certain aspects of what it means to be Owned if you know what I mean."

Gertie blinked. "You haven't taken her to a party yet?"

I swallowed the vomit down. Owned were a limited time 'party favor' for an Uptown get-together. All those attending would bring their Owned and pass them around to others. One of my Owned friends, Billy Stone, attended one of those parties and I never saw him again. It must've been an organ donation party because a few months later I saw Billy's eyes on someone else's face. Momma said it was my imagination, but I know what I saw.

"Gertie, we were wondering," Starling paused, and motioned her over. She shifted her feet, dragging me with her as she got closer. "If we made another 'personal' donation could we get her out sooner than the six months?"

Gertie pulled away, her eyes darting back and forth as she watched him, contemplating what he was asking. "If anyone found out about this we could get into some serious trouble. This isn't a program you pay for. The only benefit to staff is the use of Owned, it's why we've gotten the go-ahead to do this. You understand that, right?"

"Of course! I speak for all the taxpaying citizens when I say we appreciate this free service you're offering, but between friends?"

She heaved a sigh but didn't need much longer to think about it as she answered. "It would have to be a rather large donation."

Starling beamed at her. "That shouldn't be a problem. It'll take some time to get a large sum to you. A few months at best I think. You and the others will take care of her? No scars?"

Gertie chuckled. "We'll do our best."

Man. I did not like the sound of that one.

"And remember, her name is Kendal Panama," Starling said, heavily emphasizing the name. "I know you see names all the time and can get confused. Kendal Panama. Say it with me."

Gertie rolled her eyes but obliged. I guess I found out who the fuck Kendal was after all. Kendal Panama was going to be my new name for a while. At least, it wasn't too off my original name.

"We got her paper work. I said her name. We've given her a special inmate number. I know what she looks like – awfully cute in this, isn't she?" Gertie slid her hand down my side. I tried not to stiffen as her fingers slipped underneath the skirt waist band to snap my underwear before she pulled her hand out. "She'll get picked up right away. Not much I can do about who it is either," she said with warning. "The whole point of this is to immerse them in prison life. Six months of this and they'll never want to come back."

"Yes, but please nothing physically damaging. I'd like her returned without any of her organs missing and no scars. We like that she has no scars."

Gertie cocked her head. It was more of a manly gesture than a female one. "We can only promise no scars. Does she have both of her kidneys?"

"No, she doesn't. She donated one to her sick brother."

I frowned at Starling. If the prison decided to do a physical that lie would cause a large problem.

"And she doesn't have a scar? Downtown doesn't have our new technology do they?"

"We had the procedure done. She's been Owned since birth."