Caffeine Withdrawals

Spencer decided to stop drinking coffee after being admitted to the hospital for a caffeine overdose. He'd thrown away the caffeine pills and started drinking teas instead. He knew that stopping like this would cause some withdrawal effects, but he didn't expect it to be this bad.

After being released from the hospital Spencer was back at work and steadily avoiding the coffee machine. He hadn't had any coffee in a little over two days and he was starting to feel it.

There was an impending ache in the back of his head and his eyes were hard to keep open.

"You okay over there?" Derek asked after he had yawned for the fifth time in an hour and a half.

"Fine," Spencer grumbled not looking up from his files.

Derek frowned but didn't say anything more.

Spencer kept writing his reports and doing his consults. Every once in a while he'd shake out his hand to loosen the stiff muscles or stretch his arms. Once he twisted in his chair to pop his back, sighing in relief when it did.

"He okay?" Emily asked Derek as the genius rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"I'm not sure," Derek says. "I haven't seen him get up once today."

"There's no lasting effects from the overdose is there?"

"I'm not sure."

Deciding to just keep an eye on their friend they continued working, glancing up every few minutes or so.

Spencer tried to hold down his irritation as his eyes kept threatening to close. Digging his nails into his palms he refocused his eyes onto his file. The earlier impending headache was steadily making itself known with a building pressure behind his eyes and at the top of his head.

Deciding that maybe water will help he stands up from his desk, stretches for a moment, and makes his way to the break room. He grabbed a glass out of the cupboard and filled it from the pitcher in the fridge.

As he took a drink someone spoke from behind him causing him to jump.

"Hey Reid, how you-" Rossi started as he walked into the room.

"Shit, fuck, dammit come on," Spencer swore as water spilled out of the glass and down his shirt.

"Reid?" Rossi asked, slightly concerned.

Spencer shot the man a glare as he put the glass down and pulled at his shirt. "Dammit." He muttered again stalking out of the room to grab a new one.

Rossi just stood there confused before turning to watch the younger man.

"You okay there Spence?" JJ asks as he walks past her.

"I'm fine! Why does everyone keep asking me that?" Spencer exclaims rushing out of the room.

The profilers look to each other with matching looks of concern.

"If I didn't know any better I'd say he was high," Derek muttered.

"Don't even suggest it," Emily says shaking her head.

"Yeah, yeah sorry." Derek nods watching as Spencer walked back in going straight to his desk.

Spencer sighed as he collapsed in his seat. He rubbed his forehead, headache getting stronger with every passing minute. He knew his friends were getting worried, but he felt like he couldn't control his emotions. He was tired, his head hurt, his stomach was starting to churn a bit, and every little thing was irritating him.

Steeling himself he sat up and pulled another file towards him and tried to concentrate. Eventually he got into the groove and managed to push his headache away enough to get some actual work done.