"I'll help you get home," Clark said. "Rest now." She couldn't keep her eyes open. He felt her damp hair tickling his cheek.

Clark laid her on the gurney and watched as Fred and another EMT strapped her in and lifted her into the ambulance. Fred climbed in the back with Lexy and shut the doors. "We're taking her to Luther Medical," was the last thing Lexy heard.

*

Clark interviewed a few survivors, then the Flash and Wonder Woman about efforts to help, talked to police and at last interviewed Mayor Lex Luthor. Luthor stated that "Recovery efforts are going as well as can be expected. Lots of minor damage, windows blown out, but electricity and lights should be on in most neighborhoods by tonight." Clark took note of many Lexcorp trucks and workers making repairs. Clark reflected that Luthor would make sure he looked good, as he was up for reelection this November. Helping, whatever the reason, was welcome.

Luther also wanted Metropolis to know he'd get to the bottom of what happened and would find out what Superman had to do with it and why he wasn't here helping. Clark held back his irritation and called Jimmy Olsen over to take pictures of Mayor Luthor talking to victims, assisting police, and generally do-gooding. If Luther liked one thing more than dissing Superman, it was good publicity, even over others' misfortunes.

"I'm going back to the Planet," Clark told Jimmy, as Luther pounced on another victim, offering comfort and support.

"Kay," said Jimmy. "You seen Superman around?"

"He was here earlier," Clark said.

"You seen my Dad? His ambulance crew is supposed to be working here."

"Fred took a young woman to Luther Medical. I'll see you back at the Planet." Clark nodded and walked along 59th Street, heading to the Daily Planet to write up his article. He carried Lexy's backpack and the cat in its crate. He couldn't stop thinking of the pretty woman who knew his secrets, but insisted Superman and Clark weren't real outside of books and movies, and that she was in York City. No, New York City, was the place. He'd never heard of a city by that name on any of the worlds he'd been to or knew about. He made a note to check with STAR Labs as soon as possible.

He crossed Ninth avenue and stood in front of the Planet when a faint blur stopped and became Barry Allen. "Hello again, Clark," said the Flash.

"Barry," said Clark. "Thanks for helping out."

"Yeah," said Barry, "with communications compromised, I've been carrying messages, in between helping with disaster relief.

"I'd like to interview you further for the Planet," said Clark, "and pick your brains privately about something odd that happened to me."

"A lot of odd things have happened," said Barry. "I'm free in about half an hour."

"Come to my private office then," Clark said. Barry nodded and became a blur.

Clark went to his small, corner office, and freed windowsill. He found a can of cat food in the backpack and put it on a napkin. The cat gobbled it. Clark watched the cat for a minute. "I wonder what you can tell me about your mistress and New York City, kitty," he said.  Bootsie kept eating. Clark began to write. Flash knocked on the door about 30 minutes later, and Clark waved him in. Bootsie ignored them from his spot on a windowsill. Twenty minutes later Clark finished questioning the Flash about his activities during the Maelstrom, as some called the tempest. Clark put his tape recorder away.

He punched a number on his desk phone. He said, "Please send a copy boy to my office." A minute later Larry Elman knocked and entered.

"Hello, Mr. Kent," the teenager said, watching Clark intently. "What can I do for you?"

"Please get me the files on the storms like this last August."

"Yes, sir." Larry almost saluted and hurried out.

"More coffee, Barry?" Clark asked.

"Sure," said Barry, "At least it's hot. Last night it was cold, but welcome. That kid looks up to you."

"Yeah, Larry was orphaned last year after those August storms. Won't talk about his family. I found him scrounging food from trash cans behind this building, so I took him for a meal, actually, two meals, and got him in a group home. He's a sophomore now, smart kid, and hard-working. I got him a job here as a copy boy."

"You're a hero to him. Instead of Superman. For a change." Barry grinned at Clark.

"He avoids Superman." Clark moved the papers on his desk. "He seems to think Superman means trouble for him. Can't find out why." Clark refilled their cups and began drinking his. Barry said, "You said you wanted to ask me about something "odd". Concerning you. Or Superman?"

Clark looked directly at Barry, who knew his alter ego, and much about him. "Both. I, as Superman, helped a young woman by the Pond in Midtown Park. I returned to interview her and introduced myself as Clark Kent, from the Daily Planet. She thought I was joking, said there was no Daily Planet and Clark and Superman were fictional characters in books and movies."

Barry listened intently, watching Clark.

"She said this was New York City, not Metropolis. She became hysterical. Fred Olsen sedated her and the ambulance took her to Luther Medical." He waited for Barry to say something, but Barry nodded and waited. Clark rubbed his eyes and pushed his hair off his forehead. "Have you ever heard of a New York City?

Barry shook his head. "No, Clark. I'm as surprised as you are. She's either someone who's learned about you, or," Barry paused. "She could be from another Earth. One of the barrier dimensions."

"I wondered about that," Clark said, "None of the ones I know of have a New York City. And we can't travel past the barrier."

"Yeah," said Barry. "This storm wasn't natural, I can tell you that, but you can't make that public yet. The Labs are still trying to find out what happened and why. It's possible the storm opened some gates between dimensions, even the barrier. I've got to go to the Lab downtown soon, so I'll find out what they know. I'll get in touch with Hal Jordan and see if he can ask the Guardians. How is the woman doing?"

"Still sedated. I called the hospital. She should wake up soon. I brought her things here"—he pointed at Bootsie, "that's her cat." He nodded at a sodden backpack by the window. "That's her belongings."

"Have you looked through them yet?" Barry asked.

"No, that is, I took things out to dry them. Cat food to feed the cat. And this. I couldn't let this go." Clark handed Barry 'Phantom Attack.'

Barry flipped through it. "This may prove she's from another dimension. I'm going to the hospital this afternoon, so I'll interview her then, about 5:00." He handed the book back. Clark put it in the backpack and zipped it shut. "Can you come, say, 5:30?"

"When I finish the story and check out those reports on the storms last August, I'm free."

"Do you think there's a connection? There weren't any transports last August, that we know of."

Clark looked out the window at the lone cloud in the blue sky. "I felt power, like red sunlight both times. Call me if anything comes up. I want to talk with Miss Logan when she wakes up. Before she can tell anyone about me."