Chapter 3: Awaken

The moment Linnea went into the maze, was what was perhaps, the saddest moment of her life. When she was forcefully taken to leave Thomas. She didn't even get to say good-bye to the boy she loved.

After a hard day of working on developing the maze, Linnea and Thomas laid in the bed of their shared room. They were close to being finished developing it. As always, Linnea had refused to do certain things, and the bruises on her body showed proof of that. Nick, a boy slightly older than Thomas and Linnea -about fourteen-was to be the first candidate to go into the maze. He was prepared to leave in about two months. The maze was nearly ready.

Thirteen-year-old Thomas wrapped his arms around the smaller girl as they laid down and he spooned her. She giggled at the feeling of his touch. It was strange having fallen in love so young, but there was no way of stopping it. They never got bored of each other. They loved each other.

"I love you, Nea," Thomas whispered into the stubborn brunette's ear as he pulled her close, kissing her neck.

Linnea turned her head around to peck his lips. "I love you too, Tommy."

So they lay there, like they did every night, but little did she know, that at that moment, that would be the last time she ever said that to Thomas for a long time. Little did she know, that in a few hours, she would have forgotten everything. Even her name. She wouldn't remember her one true love.

Before she fell asleep, Linnea smiled at the feeling of Thomas's soft, warm breath on her soft light brown hair. He was perfect. Linnea didn't even think that she would have even been able to live without him. He was everything she would have ever needed. Thomas was her only love. The only one she would ever love. The only one.

As her brown eyes drooped and closed, the only thought that was on the stubborn girl's mind was Thomas. His perfection, how no matter what he was there for her. But out of everything, what would happen when she had to leave him. They might not even put Thomas in the maze. That would kill her, and she knew that it would kill him, when she got out of there and back to W.I.C.K.E.D. and she wouldn't even remember him. But that was it. The only thought on her mind was Thomas.

Linnea suddenly awoke when she was being softly shaken awake. She suspected that it was Minho, trying to wake them up for another one of their night excursions that had gone down since Linnea was attacked by the griever. But no, it was the dark brown eyes of her mother, Ava Paige as her blonde hair drooped onto Linnea's body.

Linnea struggled to push her away, almost ready to wake up Thomas, but her mother covered her mouth with one hand, and pinned her small wrists down onto the bed in attempt to get her to stop. Ava told her to be quiet and come with her. Linnea hesitated, looking over at the boy with his arms wrapped around her waist, slow, calm breaths coming out of his mouth as his chest slowly rose up and down.

Quietly, Linnea nodded her head in agreement to her mother's asking, and Ava moved her hands off of her daughters mouth and wrists. Calmly and carefully, Linnea moved Thomas's pale arms off of her body. Feeling her touch, Thomas subconsciously muttered, "I love you," to Linnea. The thirteen-year-old girl bent down and kissed her lover on the cheek.

Ava grabbed her wrist, harshly and tore her out into the dark hallway. It was unusual for it to be dark, though. It was normally illuminated with the lights above them in the halls, but it was dark. There were normally guards everywhere, but there was no one. Just Linnea and her mother. The mother that she hated.

"What is this!" Linnea demanded from her mother, but Ava just kept leading her abused daughter down the dark, empty halls. When they finally approached the door that Linnea recognized to be the prepping room for entering into the maze, Ava stopped her daughter and let go of her wrists.

"I can't take it anymore," the older, blonde woman told her daughter. "I can't take watching you get beat anymore, so I am getting you out of here."

Linnea's mouth flew wide open. She was in pure and utter shock. Why in the world, would after thirteen years would her mother help her. "I need to get Thomas then," Linnea started moving back towards their room.

The doctor grabbed the brunette's wrist, squeezing it and pulling her back. "No," she harshly implied. "I only have five more minutes before the lights and cameras turn back on and the guards come back. You cannot bring him."

But of course, as every day led her, Linnea insisted that she brought Thomas. She kept pulling and pulling but her mother's grip on her was strong. The older woman opened the door to the prepping room and shoved Linnea in it, locking it as she entered herself.

"What am I doing in here?" Linnea asked the old woman. The one who took no hesitation to just let her get beat and now she wanted to help her get out. It made no possible sense.

"You're going into the maze," the blonde stated, moving around, grabbing serums and prepping them, surely to insert them in Linnea.

"What?" Linnea yelled. The young girl immediately started slamming her fists on the door, hoping to alert someone near them, little did she know, they were all trying to figure out what was going on and no one was even remotely close to where they were in the building.

Linnea looked around the room. There was a huge glass container that was big enough to hold a single person. That was where they drain their memories. A few feet away from that, there was a big box that was underground. That was to bring them to the maze. It was already loaded with supplies, likely for her to take up. Linnea's mother had really thought ahead. 

She started to panic. "I need to get Thomas. I promised him. I promised-" She was stopped. Ava shoved her into the open glass container and slammed it shut. Linnea slammed her fists against the door, trying to find a way out of it.

Before pushing the green button that was on the desk next to her, Ava pressed her hand up against the glass. "I'm sorry," she muttered. Then the button was pressed by the old woman's pale hands.

Linnea screamed as the glass container filled with a blue liquid. The liquid would make her forget. As the liquid started to reach the small girls lungs, flashes started coming across Linnea's mind. Everything. The good and the bad. Thomas, her friends, her mother, all of the beatings. Everything. Everything slipped out of her grasp; but she was able to hold onto something.

The last thing that escaped her drowning lungs before darkness came over her was, "Thomas."

Author's note:

Last chapter before Linnea entered the maze! There was a lot more detail in this chapter I think. I really hope you are going to like this book. The chapters might start to get a little longer but not too long. 

Vote and follow!

Toodles!

Voidlinnea