6. Secret

It was a new day, the sun high in the sky and streets buzzing with conversation. The cafe on corner street was busy with customers lined up to the outside, and Ushijima was in the middle of it. Waiting for his morning coffee which he usually got with Y/n, her tired eyes walking up from just the smell. But today, Ushijima was there alone. His usual iced Americano, straight black coffee with just a touch of almond milk. He had also decided on a freshly baked blueberry muffin.

He took a new spot at a window seat, the stool being a little too small for his large body. He got snug in the seat as he scrolled through his phone and sipped his coffee, leaving his muffin uneaten on its plate. He had no idea why he did that, but when the muffin was lifted from his plate and being eaten. He wished he never got it.

"Miss me yet?" A voice he wished he would never hear again, squeaked in his ear. His plastic cup was not so gently put down, as it leaked from its lid and spilled on his hand.

"No." He said through gritted teeth, staring at the people passing by with an angered look. His eyes glaring through his brows.

"Aw. That's too bad. I was holding it could happen again, a night for you to never forget." Mei took a seat in the stool beside him. Ushijima finally met her eyes as she sucked on her finger that had muffin on it. He audibly gulped and turned back to the street, his body tense and overwhelmed.

"I would rather not."

"Why's that? Got a girl or something? I don't mind being a side chick anyways." She hummed and shrugged finishing off the muffin.

"I do. She's a lot more beautiful than you too. So no thanks." He said pulling out his phone and showing the lock screen of you laughing. A moment he cherished when he took a secret picture of you, laughing at one of Tendō's jokes. You were in your school uniform, and it was before you guys even dated. That day was one he would never forget, the day Tendō invited you out to lunch with the team. He would always be thankful to Tendō for that.

"Hey... Isn't she that model Y/n L/n?" Mei asked picking up Ushijima's phone and examining your picture.

"Yup." He said bored, his lips popping the 'p'.

"Hmm. K. I'm gonna go now. Text me sometime." She winked and pecked Ushijima on the cheek. His hand automatically going up to wipe it. He watched her skip out of the cafe and down the street, and just rolled his eyes. He'd never been more anxious in his life.

Later that same day, Ushijima had invited Yua over to watch Y/n do her show. Yua was also one of
Y/n's fans, even if she was her best friend as well. The awkward tension was in the air as the two sat at opposites end of the couch waiting for the show to come on. It was usually never like this when Aiya was here, but now that the two introverts were here..things could get awkward.

"So.. How's volleyball?" Yua asked, getting herself comfortable on the couch. Her legs crossed and a cup of water in her hands.

"It's good. We've got a game coming up and we've been training pretty hard lately. How's work?" Ushijima asked, coughing at the end.

"Good as well. Aiya's been calling and texting non-stop." She laughed. "How bout your lover?" Yua tried to tease, but her voice still came out monotone. But she did catch the way Ushijima instantly tensed up at the word 'lover.' She sensed that something was wrong and put all attention on him.

"Same." His voice cracked. He reached out for the glass of water on the table only to be blocked by Yua's sock covered foot.

"Tell me. There's something off about you." She nodded her head at the way Ushijima was robotically moving, his odd words and darker eye bags. It seemed that something was on his mind.

"There's nothing wrong with me?" He lied straight through his teeth. But Yua wasn't so easy to convince, since Ushijima was a bad liar anyways. The show started to start on the TV and the designer being interviewed, but the two paid no mind.

"Ushijima. I would rather not lie right now. Especially when it comes to Y/n."

"How do you know it has to do with her?" He asked, slipping that the problem did in fact revolve around Y/n. His eyes averted down to his hands before the TV where they watched different people being interviewed.

"It's kind of obvious. Especially when I mention her." Her head dipped down, trying to meet Ushijima's nervous eyes.

"I don't... I promise i'm going to tell her." His voice was blunt, but his eyes were serious as he looked at Yua. She only shifted her eyes between his two hazel ones before relaxing back against the couch, watching the models as they walked. But once she saw Y/n come up on the TV and looked to Ushijima who had no emotion. All she could feel was anger.

"Even our deepest secrets...aren't really secrets, are they? I will find out what it is Ushijima. I'm not letting her get her heart broken by you when all she has given you was love. If it's so bad they you can't tell me, imagine how she would react to you telling her." Her words only made Ushijima's heart hurt more. He knew he was going to have to tell her, but at what cost?

The two barely uttered a word for the rest of the show, only Yua's glares could be felt by Ushijima as he watched the show. His eyes brimming with tears as he remembered what it was like to wake up next to Mei. His mind betraying him.

All Ushijima could do now..was think of what he was going to tell her. How she would react to his words. And how heartbroken the two would be when she left him. Leaving him in an indescribable emptiness without her.

i'm watching too much hxh
i'm sorry😔

𝐵𝑎𝑏𝑦~2| 𝑈𝑠ℎ𝑖𝑗𝑖𝑚𝑎 𝑥 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑒𝑟जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें