𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯.━━━ teething babes

Start from the beginning

"What is he doing?" Clary asked, folding her arms.

"He's tracking Magnus," Kiara explained, Isabelle gave her a questioning look, "I remembered... Again, Magnus taught me how to use objects belonging for the person- said missing- hold memorial traces, emotions, pieces of identity. It that can help you track them and pinpoint a location. All you have to do is concentrate to make the connection stronger." Isabelle frowned, confused.

"That would make sense, except, we never learnt anything of what you just said." Isabelle folded her arms and her whip dangled sleepily. "Concentrate- yes- the explanation, that bored me? No."

"Then he must have been telling you how to use your magic to track." Clary shrugged, "It's the only thing that makes sense. Plus, he called you a hybrid. Part Shadowhunter because you can handle runes and-"

"- part Warlock." Isabelle finished, Kiara bit her lip.

"About that-"Jace interrupted her by calling out to the three girls... and Alec, who had been sitting by Isabelle's ankles but retreated when she started to walk and he was in danger of being stampeded by her heels. Clary picked him up and for once he was okay with that. Clary beamed and tried to brush his fur but he let out an angry purr, Clary tightened her grip in response and he squeaked. Kiara and Isabelle snorted in laughter and Kiara felt a twinge of guilt. Jace did his best not to crack a smile.

"Okay... A- Stop harassing my parabatai- B- We have a problem because the signal's not strong enough. Magnus must be blocking the track and my back up is no longer available." Jace looked down at Alec, "because he can't even stand on two feet, much less use his runes."

"How do you feel, through the bond?" Isabelle asked curiously. Jace traced the parabatai rune, uneasily, through the thin fabric of his shirt.

"It doesn't feel much different except I can tell something's not right. Set that aside because we still don't know how to find Magnus." Kiara picked up the small button on his outstretched hand and let her fingers slide over the smooth fingers, narrowing her eyes, she mumbles a string of words inaudible to the others, except Alec who cocked his head to one side trying to decipher the words of Chthonian she just said. A frail wisp of silvery veins encircled the air around the button, cupped in her hands. Kiara hastily wiped the beads of sweat that spotted her forehead. A small hand squeezed her shoulder, comfortingly; Kiara tilted her head to face Clary.

"Hey, if you're trying to track him with your magic, you don't have to... I mean look at yourself, your hands are shaking." Kiara looked down at her hands and sure enough they were. Clary grasped her trembling hands in her small ones, while Isabelle nodded in agreement, her dark eyes glinting in the street light, golden flecks sparking to life.

"What else can we do? Neither of you can do it on your own and Alec doesn't have his runes to help Jace. It's the only way." Jace tried to speak but Kiara was too stubborn and they were desperate. "Look, unless you Shadowhunters have a better idea- like running up and down the street, screaming Magnus's name- This is all we've got and I don't care how it affects me. Warlock tracking is stronger and faster. If I can tap into my warlock blood, I can find him." Kiara stated but Isabelle shook her head.

"No. Absolutely not. It could exhaust your body to a point, we can't help you- don't interrupt me- just look at what that tiny attempt did to you. Fighting against whatever he's thrown against us to block our tracking methods and trying to do something you haven't done in years... is likely to kill you." Kiara scoffed, refusing to let fear control her again.

"Do you really have so little faith in me?"

"Well actually we were hoping you could end up dead, therefore, leaving us wondering how to tell the Clave, we let a Hybrid loose and it tragically died because she was stupidly selfless." Jace said sarcastically, while Kiara listened, amused. "Yes of course we don't think you can do it, considering the last time you forced yourself into fighting magical boundaries, you nearly died." Jace argued, refreshing her memory of the City of Bones and the eerie silence within its realm.