Chapter Twenty Two: Because I Have You

To tell you the truth, young miss... I really do hate this world. I fight and I kill, and, really... there's very few things I actually like.

I like being exhausted. I like my mom. I like Robane and his dad. I like you.

I don't think I actually like Lily or Claude. I think I'm just tolerating them, but if they died... I don't think I would be sad. Maybe it's because I'm not too close to them. But I know that Claude is a good ruler, and Lily is actually a lot like my best friend.

When I met you, you saved me. I was thinking bad thoughts then, questioning my existence, wondering why everything did what it did.

I was fighting for this kingdom that I didn't like. You live rich, gift away so many treasuries, and while it's peaceful, no one is helping those in the underbelly. The orphanages with no food, the dead bodies disposed in the forests, the illegal hunters, the slave traders... you aren't very close to actually helping get rid of those problems.

There's too many of them. And there's too many things I don't like. This kingdom is bad. This world is ugly. Humans are bad creatures.

For whose sake am I living?

For whose sake am I fighting?

For whose sake have I done what I've done?

Why did I have to be born here―

"What's your name?" It was a little girl with hair of wavy, shimmering gold.

"Alice," a hand touched her face, a memory of a time long gone, "I named you that because I want you to have an odd life that you'll find interesting."

Athanasia.

Staring at the princess, the one she fatefully encountered that day, all her doubts and fears, they all were erased.

"Princess. Regardless of what may happen... Whatever you choose, I'm on your side before anything else."

Because I have you, I could go anywhere.

. . .

"I-I present the princess, Athanasia de Alger Obelia," stuttered the nervous herald, as Athanasia stood on the carpet before Claude, who was seated on his throne. Behind him stood Felix.

The princess, in confusion, stood staring at her dad. Behind her was Alice, and another royal guard with a nervous, plain face.

The unnamed guard whispered to Athanasia, his voice wavering in confusion of how to address her, "A-Ah. Princess, excuse me, but... k-kneel. Please..."

"You don't have to," Alice told her in what came off as a scoff, but Athanasia listened to the other anyway, kneeling with both her knees on the floor, unsure of what was going on.

Murmurs run around as her hands touched the floor. No one else knew what was happening either.

"Athanasia," Claude spoke up, with a scathing voice that cut through the air heavily. "With generosity unbecoming of me, I have let you, the wench who ridiculed me, live. Yet, even now, you disturb my peace of mind. Now, what should I do with you?"

"Your majesty!" Felix interjected, sounding offended. "Please keep calm-"

"Felix Robane," Claude, loud enough to be heard by others, tilted his head up coldly. "Do you wish to be executed for treason?"

Silence filled the hall. No one said anything.

Alice's hand twitched, stretching out her fingers.