fifty • the vast eternal sky

•••"this is my grace to be reborn, born again in flame"•••

•••
"this is my grace to be reborn,
born again in flame"
•••

Aubrey Hall, December 1814

Nola had never experienced home-sickness while in the presence of her own family, but the hole she had in her heart for Sloan, Oliver and even her own mother... was too jarring.

She can hardly recall the last time she had a conversation with Oliver, and the girl used to have deep conversations with him at least three times a day.

It was hard to not be around them.

Of course, she knew she could not give into this feeling. Her mother was not supportive of her marriage to Anthony, and surely would hold negative thoughts over the birth of their daughter.

"Nola!" The girl heard Francesca call from beyond her closed bedroom door. "Mother wishes your presence."

The woman sighed, pulling her hair back into a loose ponytail, ignoring the fact that she looked as if she has just rolled out of bed. "Coming!" She responded, slipping on her flats, and rushing to the staircase.

Within the living room, Violet sat at the table, staring down the piles of gifts resting in front of her. "Hello, dear." She smiled, welcoming her daughter-in-law. "Sorry to call for you so early." She apologized, leaning back against the chair. "Christmas is tomorrow, and I do not think I could manage all these alone."

"No need for apologies, mother." The girl laughed, taking a seat next to the older woman, gazing over the never ending pile of presents, "I always found myself to be quite the gifted wrapper." Nola stated, seeing a small smile grow on Violet's face.

Outside, seen through the window, Anthony rest Alverie in the snow. Her large coat bunching up at her chin, way too large for her, but destined to keep her warm- even in the frigid temperature. Anthony handed the child a round snow-ball, pointing at Colin. Helping the girl toss the snow, the ball made its way to Colin's backside, catching him by surprise.

Nola grew a wide grin, covering her mouth with her hand, holding back her own outburst. "What is it?" Violet asked, following her gaze. "Oh." The woman's heart seemed to melt, taking in the view of her son, and only grandchild. "Nola, I have never seen him so..."

"So happy?"

"Mature." Nola's eyes narrowed, showing nothing but her confusion. "He may be an adult, Nola, but I never seemed to lose my sight on his childish side." She picked up the brown paper, beginning to measure out how long of a piece they would need to cover the box. "I was never ready for them to grow, dear." She sighed, once again spotting the pair. "Seeing him with his own child... I was never quite ready for it."

Nola stood from the chair, wrapping Violet in her arms. "I suppose I shall know what you mean?"

"That little girl out there will be something magnificent," Violet foreshadowed, seeing the bright red cheeks of the little girl. "God, she looks just like him." She gushed, a small tear forming in the corner of her eye.

"Violet?" Nola asked concerned, "are you alright?"

Of course, the girl was not blind to what was happening. Violet had seen her late husband within the eyes of her granddaughter, just like a few of the Bridgerton clan had spotted. Taking the girl back into her arms, a loud release of air passed the widows lips. "Thank you, Nola." Seeing her confusion, the woman continued. "For giving me a piece of my husband back."

Nola could not hold back her tears, joint the woman in the emotional episode.

"Alverie!" Colin's mouth widened in shock, "did you throw that at me?" The girl loudly giggled, holding onto her fathers arm to keep her balanced. "That was not nice at all!"

The little girl could tell he was pulling her leg. She extended her arm to her uncle, grabbing at him, wishing for him to draw closer. "Ah!" She shrieked, starting to grow a look of discomfort.

Anthony- previously being scolded by his wife for stepping in the second Alverie was to begin walking- did not respond to her calls for assistance. He allowed her to keep her grip on his arm, but helped her waddle towards her uncle, who kept his arms extended to retrieve her- once close enough. "Come on, A!" Colin cheered. "You got it!"

Anthony's grin grew wider, watching the little girl bump around on the snow, eagerly trying to reach her uncle.

"Is she walking?" Violet asked, rushing to the window. Nola dropped the letter cutter, joining the woman at the glass. "She is!" She exclaimed, clasping her hands together. Nola watched astonished at her husband with their daughter- who finally reached the embrace of her uncle.

Sensing the eyes on him, Anthony turned into the direction of his mother's parlor window, catching glimpse of his wife, who gently blew the man a kiss. Giving her a bright smile, he brought Alverie into his arms, pointing into the direction of her mother.

Truly, dark days had dawned upon them, but they seemed to finally be able to see the light.