eight • the proposal

•••"Dove, a marriage without love is a barron one

•••
"Dove, a marriage without love is a barron one."
•••

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

The day went slowly, as Nola waited anxiously for her mother to call her to get ready for dinner with the Bridgerton's. The dress she chose to wear was a beautiful turquoise color, complimenting her skin tone. Nola never really asked for the extravagant hairstyles. Merely pulling half her hair up, and allowing the bottom to flow. Now that Sloan had announced her pregnancy to the family, she began to panic over her dresses becoming more and more tight.

Nola couldn't help but let her nerves get to her. How would Simon react? Surely, Anthony and his quarrel hadn't come to an end, with Simon not backing off of Daphne, but neither the Bridgerton or the Addington girl will ever understand the heated debate that went down in the the gym between ones cousin, and ones brother. "Why so pale, my child?" Ginevra asked, placing the royal blue ribbon through her youngest child's hair. "You seem... panicked."

"No fret, mother. I may just be... parched. Without sunlight or a drop of water all day, I simply wouldn't be surprised." Ginevra's eyes narrowed, seeing straight through her daughters lie. "Mother... is there anyway out of this engagement with whoever Simon has chosen...?"

Nola's mother released a long sigh, stepping to her daughters side. "My dear...?"

"Please, mother, be honest. If I were to get courted by someone else, is that a viable way out?" It was obvious that this topic was stressing out Lady Addington. "Mother, I can't give in to Simon's wishes."

Ginevra placed her hands on her daughters shoulders, "my child... whatever you choose, or accomplish, I can guarantee that I will back you up." Nola stood up to embrace her mother.

"What is going on here?" Simon asked, a light smile on his face. "Are you ready to head out, ladies?" Ginevra led her child out to the coach, where Sloan already sat with Oliver. Simon took the spot next to Nola, hoping to regain her affections. "Dear cousin, you certainly can not still be angry with me." He sighed.

"I can hold whatever emotion towards you that I see fit, Simon. What you did was unforgivable, cousin. You rid of me like I was garbage- utter trash, to someone who remains unnamed. Yet, you come here expecting forgiveness, without doing anything to earn it." Nola explained, trying to button the buttons on her sleeves by herself.

"Please, let me help." Simon begged, grabbing her wrists, and beginning to do her buttons. "You do look quite lovely this evening, Nola. Any chance there is someone here you are trying to impress?"

"No matter." She answered, looking out the window.

"Nola, please..." Simon sighed.

"It is none of your business." She snapped, waiting anxiously to arrive at the Bridgerton Estate, and once again be in the present of her beloved.

It seems like hours before the coach came to a halt. Allowing Nola to get away from the irritation her cousin rose from her. "Miss Addington!" Violet exclaimed, racing to welcome Nola. "You look quite lovely." Anthony watched from the top of the steps, smiling at his mother's adoration for the young Addington.

Nola went through the group, greet each member of the Bridgerton family, and finally landing at Anthony. "Might I say, you look absolutely... breathtaking." Anthony's eyes widened, exposing a look of true admiration for the girl in front of him. He leaned forward, whispering in the girls ear, "the fire only gets more intense." A smile etched itself onto Nola's face.

Little did they know a certain Duke had caught the entire exchange. Relief flushing over his system, recognizing the win- win situation his cousin and he were placed in. With her infatuation growing for the Viscount and his promise to propose, Simon didn't stress about his cousin continuing to hate him, for it would all play out perfectly.

Upon entrance to the estate, Anthony did not even waste a second before pulling the woman into his office again, once more. Grabbing her waist, he brought her to his chest. "You're absolutely stunning, Nola." A blush appeared on the girls cheeks, allowing a smirk to grow on Anthony's. "You have no idea how badly I wish to take this dress off of you and claim you right here." His finger ran down her jaw, her mouth opening to form an "o" shape, yet she still does not understand a word he says. Why must he strip her? Or claim her? And how so? As usual, she refused to ask questions, hoping it would all unravel itself sometime in the future.

Caught off guard, Anthony's lips landed on Nola's once again. "I can not control myself around you, my love." He growled, bringing her closer. "You drive me mad." His lips trailed down to her neck, arising a new sensation she had not yet felt. Pulled away from the moment by the sound of the bell, Anthony quickly helped her reconvene, making up a lie that he was just showing her old books within his study, which no one thought to second guess.

Anthony managed to convince Benedict to move seats with Nola, and again, no one questioned a thing, but it surely spiked joy within the Viscountess. Out of the corner of her eye, Nola managed to catch on several occasions the viscount checking his pocket watch- an unnerving amount of times- as if he had somewhere to be. Her eyes narrowed at him, and half way through the servings of Gooseberry Pie, a favorite of her cousins, Anthony stood up, demanding attention from all seated at the table.

"If you all would... I have an important question to ask." The Viscountess' eyes widened, as she sat up straight in her chair. "Nola..." he cleared his throat, extending his hand to grasp the young girls, leading her to stand next to him. "It hasn't been long, but I know you are the woman I'm bound to be with."

It was most uncommon for Viscount Bridgerton to propose in front of a group, but with Nola's guaranteed acceptance he had nothing to lose. In between Nola's prior visit, and the arrival of their dinner guests, Anthony sought out to find a jeweler, securing the finest ring he could find... a sapphire.

"Nola... would you please grant me the honor to be your husband? Will you marry me?" Her head nodded, taking his hands in hers.

"Yes, my lord. I will marry you."

The beautiful scene caused tears to fall down Violet's face. Yet, the mother of the bride remained confused. Simon nearly watched in approval, smiling at the newly engaged couple.