45. Capture the Human

Start from the beginning

Turning a corner, you bit down onto your tongue. The rule of 'no magic' was thrown out the window. Still, you didn't take a chance to call him out on cheating and instead chose to walk away. Hoping that he didn't see you trying to calm your winded breath.

If he could hear you then there was a chance you'd be thrown into Papyrus' makeshift 'jailhouse' he made for you and the night would be cut short.

You didn't want that.

Focusing your attention a head of you, you sighed in relief when you were far enough from Sans to be able to struggle in peace. Leaning against the wall, you greedily inhaled. Uncaring how loud you were. Your legs left like heavy weights and felt ready to crumble underneath you.

"HUMAN!" A familiar voice shouted behind you. "IT SEEMS YOU HAVE FALLEN INTO MY TRAP!"

You froze and Papyrus' loud giggle. Unintentionally flinching when you peered up at the towering skeleton. Nervously smiling, you stood straight, looking for an out.

"Are you..?"

"NO! WE ARE MOST DEFINITELY NOT TEAMING UP!" He shook his head furiously before slapping his gloved hands on his cheekbones, gasping to himself. "OH NO! I LEFT MY PARTNER!"

Before Papyrus could turn and sprint away, he paused. Glancing at your frozen figure then down the street, a long hum coming from him as he finally decided to take off his red scarf and looped it loosely around your neck.

"STAY WARM, TEMPERATURES WILL DROP SOON!" He said, a shade of orange dusting his cheekbones as he leaned close and pressed his teeth against your forehead.

A soft 'muah!' coming from Papyrus as he pulled away - the orange deepening on his face as he turned and sprinted away.

You watched in bewilderment as he retreated. The scarf around your neck fluttered against the wind, successfully snapping you out of your daze. Slowly nodding your head, you hesitantly began walking away. Occasionally looking over your shoulder to see if Papyrus would run back with Sans in his arms.

You shook your head, laughing softly at the bizarre moment. Moments with Papyrus was never dull, you concluded.

Taking out your phone, you grinned widely in excitement. It was nearing midnight. A few more minutes then you'd claim victory.

You still had yet to see four other skeletons — You weren't ruling them out since Blue could be... well you weren't sure. You knew that Edge wouldn't stop until it was too late, though.

With the city's population beginning to leave the streets and the late holiday activities, you continued to wander the streets all while keeping an eye out for the other skeletons.

Meanwhile . . .

"WHERE DO YOU THINK SHE'S HIDING?" Blue asked Stretch. His finger lightly tapping his chin as he glanced around. His eyelights sharp and searching for you. Blue's browbones furrowed as humans glided on the ice near the bridge. A small festival happening on the frozen river - he squinted his sockets, attempting to see from afar if you were one of the humans.

"MAYBE WE HAVE TO THINK LIKE HER. QUICK PAPY! THINK LIKE Y/N!"

Stretch rubbed his sockets, yawning to himself. Unlike the others, Stretch could still feel the lingering effects of alcohol. Not feeling that confident in himself to wander in the city alone while his judgement was clouded. "...she doesn't like crowds."

"GASP, YOU ARE CORRECT! HOW FOOLISH OF US TO TRY AND SEARCH HER IN A BUSY FESTIVAL! PERHAPS SHE'S NEAR GRILLBY'S?" He asked. Although he betrayed his words as he continued to look at the direction of the festival. A small frown on his teeth as he pulled at the wool scarf around his neck and adjusted the earmuffs.