Chapter 21

S H E H N A A Z 

"In a hypothetical situation, what if a best friend of opposite gender confesses he has feelings for you," he asked.

My eyes widened at the question. 

No Shehnaaz No. Relax. You can't tell him and ruin the friendship just like that. I composed myself and took a deep breathe silently.

"If I like him back, I will date him, and if not then I will explain to him how we are better off as best friends" I answered.

"Sounds good" he replied.

I was looking outside the window over thinking about the entire situation. 

"Your turn," he said.

"Sorry?" I asked as I got out of my spiral of thoughts.

"Your turn" he repeated. "to ask"

"Oh yeah," I said. "I don't have any questions left now"

"Alright! Tell me about what's happening in college" he asked.

"Nothing is happening" I answered.

"Arey, tell me any fresh gossips? Something you achieved? Anything" he said.

"There is nothing interesting to tell," I said honestly because the only interesting topic that is going on in my life is that I like my stupid best friend and doesn't, and even if he does he has never dropped a hint of liking me. So here I am in the middle of nowhere.

"Well, that's very surprising. Shehnaaz Gill doesn't have anything to talk about" he sighed.

"So, coming to the main point, why didn't you keep in touch?" he asked without looking at me and focusing on his driving. 

I heard it but, I didn't have an answer to give. Honestly, I had an answer to give but I didn't want to. So, I pretended to sleep. I guess he must have seen that I went to sleep and stopped talking.

While I pretend to sleep, I didn't realize when I actually slipped into deep sleep. I guess about thirty minutes later , I felt a hand tapping on my shoulder. I slightly opened my eyes from the sudden motion around me.

"Hey, we reached" he said.

"Oh I didn't realize when I went to sleep" I lied.

"That's fine." he said and we left the car to go back home.

<Shehnaaz's Room,  after a while>

"hey what's up?" he asked.

"just give me a few minutes Sid. I'm just working on this assignment and I'm almost done" I said as I completed my speech on Feminism. It was a Communication Skill project.

"when do you have to give the speech?" he asked curiously.

" Tomorrow" I answered.

"Are you prepared for it?"

"Yeah, almost" I said.

"You know nowadays, college has been giving us a lot of projects. Specially,  group projects" I told him.

"So is that good or bad?"

" Both. You know na...."

"Everything has it's pros and cons" he completed my statement.

"How did you know I was going to say that?" I asked.

" You said half of it , I assumed the part you would say ahead" he smiled.

Omg! Every minute I try to tell myself I don't like him. He proves me wrong. Every time I talk to him at night , I smile while falling asleep thinking about the sweet statements he makes. It could have been called smooth flirts but, only if he liked me. Sometimes,  I wonder does he think about me the way I do? Does he feel for me the way I do?

Yesterday, I was talking to Aarav. He's my new friend in college. We have been a part of the same groups for four assignments. He is super sweet and helpful too. I told him about my situation making it hypothetical so he wouldn't know if I was referring it to someone in real life.

F L A S H B A C K

"Okay, so tell me if you have a guy bestfriend and you like him but, he starts dating someone else then what will your reaction be?" Aarav asked.

"I will be happy for him. If he's my guy bestfriend then his happiness will matter the most to me. So, if being in a relationship with the girl makes him happy, then I would be happy with that" I smiled.

"Sure you would be but, everything will change" he said.

"How? He will always be my bestfriend. How does it matter if he is in a relationship or not?" I raised my eyebrows.

"You won't be his priority anymore. From the position one you will come to two and trust me , as simple as it sounds. It will affect you much more" he said.

F L A S H  B A C K   E N D S

"Shehnaaz, where are you lost?" he tapped on my shoulder.

"Umm..nothing"

Suddenly, a text popped up on my screen.

"Hey, see in 5, on zoom."  
                                             Aarav

" Who's Aarav?" he asked as he saw the name pop on my screen.

"a friend" I answered.

"Which friend and why haven't you told me about him yet?" he asked.

" Sidharth, why are you asking me so many questions. You aren't my boyfriend" I reverted.

"But, I am your bestfriend. So tell this stupid Aarav to do a zoom call at some other time" he said firmly. I don't know what had gotten into him. Why was he behaving so absurd?

"Sidharth it's important" I tried to calm him down.

"You told me your assignments still have a long time for due and can't you spare an hour for me. You are choosing that stupid new friend over me?" he scoffed.

"Sidharth, it's not choosing. I really have to be there"

"You can do it an hour later too. Right now you are spending time with me" he ordered.

" You can't order me like that" I scoffed.

"I just did and guess what you are going to follow it. You are spending time with me" he said it loudly.

" Sidharth, I can't spend more time with you. Not a minute or even a second" I shouted back. I didn't wait for him to ask why, and I let the cat out of the bag. "Because I fucking love you, more than a bestfriend. If I spend more time with you then my feelings will increase,  phirse and tumhari nahi hogi,phirse" I shouted in anger while the tear drops made way through my eyes.

"Yjhd style main confess karna tha toh pehele bolti na,  I would've gotten beer and balloons along to make the atmosphere a little romantic" he winked. " Kitna time lagaya ye bolne main?" he gave me a sly smile.

  [ A u t h o r ' s  N o t e ]

Hiii guys! The only reason for me to be updating the chapter today is a few of you guys who kept commenting and asking me to update it. Like I said you comments push me to write faster and hopefully, better. Thankyou for all the support. You all are the best.

I was a little skeptical, if I should end the book after a chapter more and epilogue or should I continue it with their dating phase. Comment your opinions.

Do vote , comment & share.

See you guys super soon.

Love,
Diya <3