Chapter Twelve - Window

Start from the beginning

"Saw your reflection. Just...fear," August sighed. She felt like her chest was collapsing just looking at him. "Anguish. Rage. Guilt for bringing you straight to them. I knew I had to protect them."

"You exploded. It was a defense mechanism. Definitely sent me running." He held up his good arm, rolling his sleeve up to reveal deep burn scars that slithered from the top of his bicep to his elbow. "You got me hard, right in my good side. But your family survived. Burned, but alive. If you hadn't done that, you likely wouldn't be here right now to tell this story. I wasn't allowed to let you escape again."

August nodded, trying not to cry. Part of her had always suspected that she had been the root cause of the fire, but she had been desperate for someone to blame it on. Sure, Bucky had been the one to force her hand, and SHIELD had been the ones to stick her in a coma for so long. But ultimately, she was the one to start the blaze.

She wiped her eyes.

"There are other things to think about right now." She nodded. She looked up at Steve, who was watching her with concerned eyes. "You've gone and made a right mess of things with Tony. I'm going to help you fix it."

He nodded, standing up straight.

"We're meeting with Sharon tomorrow. She's going to get us some supplies so we can get out of this country." He looked over to Bucky. "Buck, this isn't going to be easy."

"I know," Bucky finally tore his eyes from August, looking to his best friend. He rubbed his temples. "You three shouldn't even be helping me. I can't imagine why you would."

"We've all been pawns in someone elses game before." Her voice was hoarse. She could not believe what she was saying. She feared this man. Hated him, even. "Everyone deserves a second shot."

"I'm just saying that this is going to be hard. For all of us. Buck, are you sure you're ready for this?"

Bucky nodded.

"I can handle it."

The foursome was silent for a moment. Sam loudly yawned.

"Then for heavens sake, can we please go to bed? If I'm going to commit crimes tomorrow, then I at least deserve a solid eight hours."

August stifled a laugh. She stood up, padding across the room, noticeably making a wide arc around Bucky. Steve handed her a bundle of clothes.

"Nothing fancy," He sighed. "But better than a soaking wet prison jumpsuit."

She pulled a face at him. Stepping into another room, she pulled off her shirt. She wrung out her bra, shaking it on the ground to get the last water droplets out, before clipping it back on and pulling on the blue sweater. August stepped into the black sweatpants before heading back into the main room.

Sam and Steve were already nodding off, both sleeping on their bellies, using their arms as pillows. Bucky was still sitting up, staring into the fire.

She sighed, hesitantly moving to sit a safe distance from him. She wrapped her arms around her knees. They were quiet for a long moment.

Minutes passed, only silence and the boys even, loud breathing filling the space in the room.

"Do you-"

"I don't-"

They both clamped their mouths shut, staring at each other. Bucky blushed.

"Sorry. Go ahead."

"No, no. It's fine. You first."

Bucky gave her a strange look.

"The things I did were so terrible. How on earth are you okay staying here, helping me? Nobody would blame you if you left."

"And went where?" August cocked an eyebrow. "I broke out of prison to be here. And to be completely honest, if I had known the reason why I was coming here, I might have stayed put. But Steve saw something in me when everyone else was pushing for me to rot in prison. After I woke up I was terrified, I would have done anything to escape. Steve was the only person to treat me like a human being."

"Mm," Bucky nodded, pursing his lips. "He's always been like that. Too good."

"That's why I came here. Because he's done a lot for me, and if I can help in any way, I owe him that. But I'm staying because I don't hate you. I did a lot of terrible things in the name of the people who were controlling me, too. We're both just pawns."

Bucky looked up at her, his intense eyes practically drilling a hole in her skull.

"Does it ever get any better? Healing from that?"

August shrugged. Without even noticing, she had become comfortable in his presence. Her shoulders were relaxed, her eyelids drooping with tiredness.

"I dunno. I mean, I've only been awake for a little over six months. Not really out in the world or anything. But having good people to help you along...that's what makes it worth it."

He thought on that for a long moment.

"Ms. Haze?"

"Mmm?"

"I forgive you for trying to kill me."

In her half-asleep state, August snorted quietly.

"Call me August, please. Ms. Haze was my mother."

She heard him chuckle quietly.

"I'll see you in the morning, Ms. Haze."