•t h i r t e e n•

Start from the beginning

"Yara, that's bullshit. You've never led anyone to think they were the only one. It's been your policy to be honest, whatever they walked into, you always made it clear." Ebony clarified "Don't let any man make you think you deserve to be betrayed. That's a lesson we all can learn."

The ladies all sat on those wise words before the vibrations of Yara's phone pulled them back to reality. Zolee looked at the Caller ID before sucking in a breath and passing the iPhone to Yara.

Isla Sioux ... Yara had saved her number but she didn't know why. Now that she was confronted with it , her, she didn't exactly know what to do.

"Yara, she is your sister. As mad as mine makes me, I'd give anything to have a normal relationship with her." Zolee encouraged Yara to pick up her phone.

Yara simmered on the thought as the phone continued to vibrate. Sighing, she turned to Ebony who had become absorbed in her own phone. Her eyes seemed startled by whatever occupied her attention.

"What's wrong Eb?"

The vibrations suddenly stopped leaving just Yara's voice, Zolee's gaze, and a lost opportunity.

"I'm late." Was all Ebony supplied, shaking Yara and Zolee's demeanors.

"Wait , how? You told me that you and Kevin had just gone on a date last month. Ebony, how could you sleep with him when you promised yourself you wouldn't?" Yara eyed her in confusion.

"Things just happened Yara, he's Kevin and he's fine and he was single and I thought it was over but..." Ebony's rambling trailed off as she hung her head "I thought he'd finally chosen me and he didn't. He loves me but he loves her to and there's Kyrie so he's devoted to them both. I can't compete with that."

Ebony's face was full of regret. Zolee placed her hand on Ebony's to show support but Yara just shook her head.

"I can't believe this. All those times I asked you about him and you downplayed it. Ebony, how could you let this happen? Why didn't you use protection?"

Ebony bristled at Yara's disappointed tone. The only person that had ever spoken to her like that was her mother and it immediately struck a nerve. Eying them both, Zolee could sense a shift in the room that she didn't want to referee.

"You shouldn't talk Yara, you didn't want to fall in love with Jordan but you obviously did which is why you're in this bed sulking. You of all people should understand how this happened because we're all in the same boat. With as much as you fucked, you can be carrying Jordan's baby right now too."

"I doubt that." Yara brushed her off easily "Ebony, I'm sorry. I just... you've always talked about what you wanted and how you wanted it. This wasn't your plan and honestly, I am mad because of Jordan but, I'm pissed because Kevin isn't giving you what you need and I know that you deserve the best. You deserve so much more Ebony. I've done my dirt and Zolee didn't care to get attached to anyone, but you've always had this idea of what you wanted, and you make that clear. I'm just hurt because I can see that you're scared. This isn't what you want but you're so full of love that I know that if you're pregnant, you'll love that child more than anything. I'm just not sure how he will take it and I don't want to see him hurt you twice."

"I'm a big girl Yara. I don't need you to feel anger for me. I laid down too and I knew what could happen. I love Kevin and he's complicated; I don't need you to remind me of that. We can go through that later, but I need you to give me the same support you gave Zolee."

"Zolee doesn't have a third-party Ebony."

Zolee coughed at Yara's statement.

"I mean, we can never know for sure with D." the woman in question clarified only to be ignored.

"Then you can understand Yara, give me the same grace that you would give yourself."

She was humbled. Staring into Ebony's dark brown eyes, Yara realized that she was projecting. She did care for her friend, but Jordan had twisted something deep inside of her. He'd stolen her peace, shattered her entire countenance. She didn't do love, but she allowed herself to be foolish enough to love him.

Shuffling out of bed, she disappeared into her bathroom before she returned with two boxed pregnancy tests. She gave one to Ebony and kept the other.

"Well, let's see how close our situations are."

"Oh shit, this is going to be interesting." Zolee mused before she grabbed the Ice Cream from where Yara had abandoned it "I remember this moment and whew... good luck."

"Yeah well, let's hope none of our situations think we trapped them too." Yara quipped and ducked into her bathroom just in time to miss the extra spoon Zolee flung at her head.

Ebony walked out to use the bathroom up from Zolee's room.

Both ladies came out two minutes later and waited in the neutral territory of the living room.

"You didn't have to do that Yara." Ebony sighed "This is my problem."

"Yeah well, you were right. Jordan and I did have a lot of sex and your problems are my problems whether I'm pregnant or not. You're not dealing with this alone, I hope you know that."

A smile graced Ebony's face before she embraced her friend.

"You didn't deserve what Jordan did, no one does. I'm sorry he turned out like this, but, I really think he loves you too. Maybe he did it because he felt betrayed about Quincy? People do stupid stuff when their heart and pride are hurt."

"Nah, he did it before that even was a thought. He had no idea about Quincy until that night."

Ebony pursed her lips before she scratched her head.

"Eb is right though Yara, Jordan does love you. He's just as stupid as D'Angelo apparently, go off before they get the full story... idiots" Zolee chimed in as she took up space on the sectional.

"Well whatever, I don't have enough emotional bandwidth to go through his thought process right now."

"Depending on that test Ya, you may have no choice but to."

Ebony's soft voice uncovered a deep fear of hers. Part of the reason she didn't want to get attached to anyone was because of heartbreak. She'd endured enough and Jordan had just put her through more. She didn't want to be pregnant; she didn't want to be her mother; carrying a child for a man that didn't value her.

An alarm rang off and Zolee quickly silenced it before she looked at her friends.

"It's time guys. Do you want me to check or are you two good?"

Both women assured Zolee that they were fine. The march to the bathrooms turned their legs to lead. Ebony got to hers first and as she took in the result she cursed internally. She'd never get rid of Kevin.

Yara was silent as she took the test in. Reaching up, she ran her fingers through her hair as the air seemed to be too heavy for her lungs.

She couldn't believe this.

She didn't want this.

She didn't want him.

"Damnit Jordan."