The Children

Brian Bethel is a respected veteran journalist and current columnist for the Abilene Reporter- News.

In the 90's Bethel wrote a blog piece detailing an experience that would soon come to be shared by many.

One evening as Bethel sat parked. Outside the local theater, filling out a check for the night deposit next door, his drivers side was approached by a couple of children no more than 10 or 12.

Bethel rolled down his window, expecting a request for money. Only one of the children spoke, but before any words came out of his mouth, Bethel was gripped with fear. The boy told a story: they wanted to see a movie, they'd left there money at home, could Bethel give them a ride?

Bethel tried to avoid looking at them, not wanting his fear to show, he noticed that the last showing movie had already started. The little boy implored: they were just a couple of kids, they didn't have a gun.

As Bethel finally locked eyes with the boy, his mind went wild with horror. Both the boys eyes were coal black.

Stammering an excuse, he began to roll up his window and put the car into gear, the little boy then called out angrily "We can't come unless you say its okay! Let us in!"

Bethel burned rubber all the way home and wrote about the experience later that night.