Part thirty

July 17, 1999.

He had chosen the best place in town to take her to dinner.  A Muggle place, how she liked it, although Draco had to admit that — ever since he discovered the Muggle world with her — he liked it too.

And how not to choose the best place for such a special night?

He was really nervous, he never thought that he would end up doing something so simple and at the same time as complicated as that but he was clear about it, he had no doubt.  He wanted to spend the rest of his life with her and he was completely determined to let her know tonight.

He was moving his foot nervously.  They had arranged to see each other in a few minutes, he was waiting for her.  He had come to pick her up like on a Muggle date —at her house— and he was waiting anxiously to see her leave through that door.

He felt his heart stop beating for a second when he saw the door open.  He let out a big sigh, relieved to see her and a smile began to play on his face, noting how gorgeous she was.

Annelisse smiled at him as soon as she saw Draco and walked over to him, who was waiting in front of her house, dressed in an elegant suit, black as usual.  When she reached him, they kissed each other and both began walking through the streets of London.  The restaurant wasn't too far away and Draco thought would be fine to walk to calm himself down a bit.

"Was the meeting in the Ministry go well?"  He asked, try to talk about anything and be able to calm down.

"Yes, in September I would start practicing for a year and then I will be officially an Auror!"

"I'm so proud of you, Lisse. You've worked really hard this past year to get a place."  Draco smiled sincerely at her.  In a way, he was envious of her, healthy envy.  Unlike her, Draco hadn't started working yet, given the wealth he had from his family, he didn't think it was necessary to work and he didn't see any interest.

They had argued about this a few times;  Draco insisted that he —and maybe she— could live off the Malfoy wealth but Annelisse completely disagreed, she liked to earn her money, to feel fulfilled.  She didn't want to take anything for granted.

"Graduated and about to work, I still can't believe it!"  She said excitedly, to which Draco smirked.

"I'm very happy for you."  He responded feeling a bit calmer.

They advanced through the streets of London and finally reached the long-awaited restaurant.  Draco opened the door, letting her in first as a gentleman and then the meter led them to a private room that he had previously reserved.  Draco Malfoy would have become a hopeless romantic because of Annelisse but he liked being in private with her.

They both sat at the table he had chosen and had a bottle of wine to warm up the night.  When they had this one, they both toasted their glasses and had a drink.

"Who would have thought Draco Malfoy would dine at a Muggle restaurant?"  Annelisse scoffed, raising an eyebrow.

"So that you realize what you make me do."  To which she laughed.

"Oh, come on. You have to admit that the Muggle world isn't that bad."

To which he simply smiled although in his mind, Draco agreed with her.  Annelisse had shown him really nice places and they had done a lot of Muggle things together that he surprisingly enjoyed.

"Do you know who goes to practice with me?"  She said, catching Draco's attention "Ginny." Smiled.

"Little Weaselbee?"

"Don't be so mean. She's a good girl."

"But a Weasley."

"You have to stop messing with the Weasleys."  She frowned.

"Okay, okay. I'm over."  He raised his hands slightly in apology.

"You are hopeless, Malfoy."

"But you love me."

"Too much." They both sighed, looking at each other with a smile. 

If Draco Malfoy had been told long ago that he would end up dating a Muggle-born girl, having dinner at a Muggle restaurant and about to propose to that same girl, he would surely have laughed out loud.

But this is what love entails, and he was willing to ask Annelisse's hand, to spend the rest of his days with that beautiful girl who one day entered his life like a whirlwind, turning everything upside down and turning him into the best version of him.

During dinner, they talked about some future plans. Draco was too nervous and Annelisse could tell even though she did not understand why at all and was not expecting what Draco was about to do.

After they had eaten, Draco paid and  got up from the table, which confused Annelisse but she got up too.

"Are we leaving?"  She asked him with some sadness, she wanted to continue the evening there at the restaurant.

"There is a place I want to take you."  He said approaching her and took her hands, smiling at her.  He took the unopened bottle of champagne he had ordered and the two empty glasses on the table.

"What are you doing?"  She asked even more confused.

"Take hold of my arm and close your eyes."  He smiled at her.  Annelisse, without knowing what was happening, grabbed onto his arm just as he had told her and closed her eyes.

In the blink of an eye, they disappeared from the restaurant and reappeared elsewhere.

"Open them."  He said in a soft voice.

Annelisse opened her eyes and instantly a smile spread across her face when she saw where they were.  She let go of Draco and started walking around the place as Draco set what he had brought aside on the ground.

"Draco."  Annelisse said in surprise.  They were in the Astronomy tower, it was night and the sky was covered by a blanket of stars that together with the moon slightly illuminated the place in a unique way "This is incredible." She said exhaling because of surprise, she did not expect at all  to come here, they haven't been since Draco finished his studies at Hogwarts "How did you get access?  If I don't misunderstand, you can't appear at Hogwarts. "

"I have my methods."  He rolled his eyes in amusement. "And maybe I had a chat with Dumbledore."  Ended up admitting.

Annelisse let out a small laugh as she approached Draco and placed a tender kiss on his lips.  "You are amazing."  They both smiled.

She turned around to get closer to the railing and get a better look at the views.  At that very moment, Draco didn't hesitate anymore.  He took out of his pocket that velvety box that he had carried with him all week and after taking a few steps towards her, he knelt before the dark-haired girl who had completely stolen his heart.