Chapter 3 - Old and New Friends

Start from the beginning

"No restrictions...?" I mumbled to myself. Matsushita thought I was talking to her as she raised her gaze to match mine.

"I noticed as well, the school is extremely lenient, isn't it?" She slightly narrowed her eyes as if appraising me. This got Satou's attention, but she looked puzzled.

"I don't understand..." She hesitantly replied. Bless her heart. I don't blame her. She was just trying to be carefree in her brand-new school and unfortunately got stuck in a conversation with two hyper-analysing weirdos, being Matsushita and I.

"Considering the abundance of points, we were gifted, I assumed that the school may deduct over usage of water and gas from us personally. It would make the most sense." I decided to broach the topic I had in my mind since the morning to see if there were others who could lend me a differing opinion. "But it seems, my original hypothesis proved incorrect.

"Oh, how shrewd. I didn't expect this of you, Kanera-kun." I'd certainly gained Matsushita's complete attention now.

"My sense of observation is as least adequate. I have to have at least one thing going for me, don't I?" I teased with a wink. Matsushita slightly scowled at me for that action. Okay maybe I need to ease up on the self-depreciation. I chuckled and turned away.

Satou looked quite confused, as if she didn't understand my comments. She overlooked my sly remarks at myself as if I were joking and broached the original topic. "Does this mean something is going to happen soon, Kanera-kun?"

I glanced over my shoulder at her question. "Most likely, Satou. We don't know for certain, but I recommend keeping a hold of most of your points if you can. Some advice from your future friend. Later!"

I kept walking towards my area which held my dorm room.

"Wait!"

Hearing this, I called back without stopping. "Oh! If you still have some questions, you should ask Matsushita."

Looking back, I saw Satou turn and face Matsushita with a quizzical look.

"She may pretend to know nothing, but I'm sure her deductions are the same as mine," I mentioned to Satou.

Matsushita looked slightly annoyed at me. Sorry, just testing the waters. That was my signal to step on the elevator and head towards my dorm.

My speculations were actually vague at this point in time. But the one thing I was certain of, without a shadow of a doubt is that the 100,000 points we were gifted are extremely important. I didn't remember hearing whether it was a recurring payment or not. They wouldn't last for our three years here, obviously, but maybe a year? Even that's a stretch which I can't get behind. My leading hunch, at the moment, was based on the school term or monthly. Did Chabashira-sensei ever say monthly or termly? I thought it was strange of me to miss an important detail like that, however I can't say with certainty if it was mentioned.

Uh, how frustrating. I'll heed my own advice and spend the 100,000 sparingly until I know the situation. I'm sure Horikita and Ayanakouji would do similar. They seem extremely sharp. Probably sharper than me in all honesty. Horikita's skills and strengths are available to view, like Matsushita, if you pay enough attention. It's Ayanakouji who's the anomaly. The man looks switched on, but that constant blank expression is eerie. He has to know something is amiss. He sort of gives me chills.

As I made it to my dorm allocation, I internally apologised to Ayanokouji for the second time that day.

I wonder what the future will bring.