Capitolo Ventuno

They were early. They were too early.

"Let's go greet them," Domenico grasped both of my hands and pulled me up from the couch. "It would be rude of us not to invite them inside." Leave it to my husband to decide today of all days to act as the gracious host.

"Welcome Mr. and Mrs. DiMarco please come in," we heard Giovanna invite my parents into the house and then go to help the driver with the luggage.

As we entered the foyer Domenico was the first to speak up, "Hello Rosalia, Benito."

"Hello Domenico," my father said looking directly at my husband. "Thank you for having us."

"Apollonia," my mother cried grasping me into a tight hug. "You look beautiful, you're glowing!"

Neither of my parents knew about the grandchild that they would soon be having, and they hadn't noticed the small tent that the bump created.

"I've missed you," I hugged my mother back. When I pulled away my mother had tears streaming down her face.

"Benito, Rosalia let's go sit down and have a drink," Domenico led us to the parlor where drinks were set up on the glass coffee table.

"How is business Domenico?" My father hadn't even acknowledged me and all of my old insecurities came flooding back, chipping away at my newfound self confidence.

"It's fine thank you," Domenico said pouring two glasses of whiskey, a glass of red wine, and a glass of water.

"I heard about the incident with Emilio. I'm glad to see that my daughter made it out alive," my father glared at Domenico over the top of the glass.

"He's been taken care of," Domenico bit back with a dark look forming in his eyes.

'I thought I was supposed to be the frazzled one,' I thought.

"Apollonia your face seems to be a little bit fuller," my mother observed. "Is something wrong?"

"No mama nothing is wrong," I said sharing a look with Domenico. "Are you sure?" my mother pressed on with worry etched across her face.

"Yes mama," I reassured her. "But we do have something to tell you."

"In several months now you will have a grandchild," Domenico finished for me while grasping my hand and flashing me a smile.

"You're pregnant?" My mother said with fresh new tears cascading from her eyes. "Oh Benito did you hear that? We are going to have a grandchild!"

"Yes Rosalia I did hear that," my father answered maintaining his robotic one if voice. "Our daughter is already pregnant by a man she had known for less than a year."

I was in shock at hearing what he was saying, I mean he was the one that forced Domenico and I to get married.

"But we're married," I said confused.

"Don't get upset Apollonia," Domenico whispered while rubbing his hand up and down my back soothingly. "It's not good for you or the baby."

"Benito how could you say such a thing," my mother said incredulously.

"I send her away and the next time I see her she's knocked up," my father threw another insult my way. "It's a shame really."

"Benito I believe you're out of line," Domenico said. "I won't tolerate you speaking about my wife or my unborn child like that."

"Domenico you must think the same," my father continued on. "And what woman wants to raise her husband's bastard child?"

"That's enough!" Domenico roared standing up to tower over my father. "Don't let another word about my wife or my children come out of your mouth. You are in my home."

"That is my daughter," my father challenged also standing up. "She is mine!"

"You're mistaken Benito," my husband darkly chuckled. "The moment you arranged our marriage she became mine, you won't treat what's mine so disrespectfully."

"A woman who gives herself so easily to a man is nothing but a whore," my father relentlessly spat out insult after insult. Tears poured down as I hid my face in my hands pitifully while my mother tried to comfort me.

"Apollonia go upstairs," my husband calmly ordered. He didn't need to tell me twice, I raced up the grand staircase two at a time wanting nothing more than to hide away under the covers of my bed.

How could a father be to cruel to his own daughter, his pregnant daughter.