one | red gates

Mulai dari awal

"Mr. Tanaka?" The man stood from his oak desk. He was tall and lean with a five o'clock shadow lining his sharp chin. His blue-grey eyes settled over the girl. "Miss Tenjin?"

She shrugged, ignoring the sleekness of his voice and the way his suit emphasized his well-built form. Reiju sat on a black leather couch, perusing the portraits of generals that hang from the walls. In the middle was a red triangular banner with Carmine's logo on it. A black snake skull.

"Mr. Leroux." Yami shook the man's hand. He sat on the wooden chair in front of the headmaster as they talked.

Reiju's chest hammered loud. It was done then.

She was gonna spend her 20th birthday in this godforsaken place. She wanted to blame Yami, her father, her brother... even Tobi and his dumb clan. But she couldn't.

She was the one who let herself be put in this situation. She should've fought back harder. Disrespecting her father was a tiny price to pay.

"Oujo!"

Her eyes snapped towards Yami's inquisitive gaze. "Nani?"

Yami let out a sigh. "I'm gonna leave you here. Rohan will watch out for you."

Who's Rohan?

Reiju folded her arms before crossing her long legs. The robe scarcely hid her modesty that Yami's dark eyes narrowed in irritation. "Go," she said. "But I promise you, it won't be long until I get out of here."

Maybe it was just her but the man's lips twitched. Yami seldom smiled that Reiju felt better about her upcoming endeavors.

"Very well. I'll go on my way."

The room quieted as soon as the door closed on Yami's back.

"Professor Shah will escort you to your dorm, Miss Tenjin."

"Who?" Reiju frowned. Her gaze flitted around the room. A tiny gasp erupted from her throat as she saw a man. He stood silently at a corner that she didn't know when he entered or if he had been around the whole time.

She shot from her seat, scanning the man as he strode forward.

With the light from the fireplace hitting him, she freely drank his raven hair, his intense eyes, and the sharp angles of his face. He had a robust form, further highlighted by the black turtleneck he wore.

Reiju licked her lips at the daunting aura he emitted. How delicious.

Leroux nodded in the man's direction. "Professor Huxley was supposed to be here but I can't find him. I hope you weren't busy."

"It's fine," the man replied in a clipped tone. His boots squeaked against the marble floor as he marched to the door. "Follow me, Miss."

Reiju trailed after the man. His long coat swayed as he walked. "How can I get out of here?"

"Graduate."

She clicked her tongue as the frigid air outside hit her again. "What else, Professor?"

They reached the right side of the archway when he halted. His forehead knitted in confusion as he faced her. "Are you saying you don't want to be here?"

Reiju noted the offense in his voice. "It's not like that."

Professor Shah snorted. "If you don't take this seriously, Miss Tenjin... you'll be in trouble." He paused before a smirk curled on his lips. "Oh, you know what? You can actually get out of Carmine."

"How?"

"You just need to die."

Reiju clenched her jaw. She had no desire in staying here but she also hated being underestimated. Not only was he looking down on her, but also on the people who had raised her, on her whole clan. She glowered at the man. "I'm sure I can do both, professor. Stay alive and get the fuck out of here."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. I can—"

She paused as something flicked on her face. Reiju touched her cheek, sensing something warm and thick. "What the hell?"

The professor snatched her hand, inspecting her fingers before smelling her hand. "It's blood."

"What?" They looked up towards the top of the fifteen feet wall. "Then, someone is—"

As soon as she spoke, a dead body fell on the ground.

—————

Dedicated to uxecila for pushing me into the inspo hole (like all the time haha)

oujo/oujo-sama - young lady
kumichō - family head