Chapter 11 - Stay put

*Steves Pov*

"Come on Y/N stay with us. Keep breathing. You're gonna be okay" I whispered to her. She looked awful. Her face bruised and bloodied. I could feel her breathing slow. Please stay with us.

*Loki POV*

I followed the team as far as the entrance to the med bay and was and was abruptly stopped by the iron man. "You aren't coming anywhere near her. You stay here, you stay away, you come near her again and you'll wish you were back in Asgard" Tony ordered through gritted teeth. I held my hands up in surrender and backed away. I stayed outside watching helplessly through the window. Steve handed Y/N over to the medical team who were rushing to hook her up to IV's and monitors.
What have a I done.
"Brother she will be okay" Thor patted my shoulder reassuringly. "You don't know that" I replied. "She is a tough lady. You were wrong to do that Loki. She could have died. Why did you do it?" Thor looked at me, he wasn't angry , just disappointed. "I...I thought if I could make her scared, really scared, it would allow her to find her other elements."
"Loki that isn't for you to decide. Fear works in different ways for everybody. What you fear and conjure up in response is different to how she may respond. You don't know what she has been through. She doesn't know either..." Thor paused realising he had said too much. "What do you mean she doesn't know?" I questioned. "Loki this is better coming from Tony. She's had a tough life. Like you" Thor walk away patting my shoulder once more.

What does he mean?

*Normal POV*

Doctors and nurses ushered the team out of the med bay to see to Y/N's injuries. By now she had been hooked up to multiple monitors, injected with various pain killers and fluids and was now being watched carefully. She was stable but not out of the woods yet.

"So what's the deal? Is she going to be okay?" Tony walked back into the room with Bruce.
"She's taken quite a beating. Fractured wrist, cracked skull, 6 broken ribs, multiple bruising..." the doctor was reading out a long list of Y/N's injuries. "Okay, okay, she's broken we get it. How long will it take her to recover? Will she wake up soon?" Tony stopped in front of the doctors.
"We will monitor her closely but she may be out for a little while longer" the doctor walked away back over to the team who left Tony and Bruce by Y/N's bedside.
"Tony...I'm so sorry. I... I can't.." Bruce was hurting. "Banner don't. This isn't your fault." Tony stopped him. "She'll be okay" Tony sat down in the chair next to Y/N's bed and took her hand in his. He looked at her bruised and broken face with fear and sympathy. "Come on kid, you've got this. You're gonna be okay" Tony felt guilty. He felt responsible for her. Had he known Loki would release the hulk he would never have let her enter the same room as him.
Thor entered the room. "How is lady Y/N?"
"Not great Thor. You can thank your brother for that!" Tony glared at him. "What the hell was he thinking!" He raised his voice still clinging onto Y/N's hand.
"I know Tony. What he did was unforgivable. Look..." he paused and walked closer to Tony and Bruce. "I am the first to say that my brother was wrong for what he did but I believe his intentions were good."
"Good? Look at her Thor ! How can you say this is good?" Tony shouted.
"He wanted to help her find more elements. He thought by causing her fear, she would expose another element." Thor held his hands up in defence.
"Well look how that turned out !" Tony was now standing closer to Thor.
"What do you mean by causing her fear?" Bruce seemed intrigued.
"Loki discovered most of his powers through extreme emotions. Fear, anger, jealousy, love. He knew he had powers but an extreme emotion brings out the powers more" Thor explained.
"So you're saying Loki thinks that Y/N's element powers may still be manifesting ?" Tony was now looking at Bruce dumbfounded that he was discussing this.
"Bruce you're not seriously asking about this? This is not okay!" Tony exclaimed.
"I know Tony. I'm not saying it is okay I'm just intrigued as to the logic behind this. Loki may be onto something" Bruce was now searching for his notebooks with his research.
"Oh yeah let's cause extreme pain on the kid just to see if she may or may not have an extra power. Are you drunk?" Tony wasn't understanding their logic right now.

Bruce knew that if the brain experiences something extraordinary , it can bring out powers. He saw this through his own transition into the hulk.
"I'm not saying we should inflict pain, but if we can get Y/N to train harder, I think she could hold more elements." Bruce was now drawing up 'the sciency' stuff behind his logic, showing Tony and Thor what he meant.
"Bruce I can see your logic. I don't like it but ... maybe you're on to something. This doesn't make me any happier about what went on today.." Tony walked out with Bruce and Thor leaving Y/N to rest.

*Y/N's POV*

My eyes felt like weights. I couldn't open them. I could hear muffled voices in the room fade and I knew I was now on my own. The other sounds were the heart monitors and me breathing. At least I am breathing.

I tried to wiggle my fingers. They're moving! Yes ! My eyes not so heavy , I was able to flicker them open.

The room was bright. A typical medical bay you see in hospitals although this one was slightly nicer and much quieter. I tried to sit myself up but pain soon stopped me.
"I wouldn't move if I were you" a soft, silky voice replied. Loki was sat in the chair in the corner watching over me.
"How're you feeling?" He asked.
"Like I got hit by a Hulk" I winced in pain as I tried to prop myself up. Loki walked over to me and was now standing over me.
"I'm sorry" he looked at me with tears in his guilty eyes.
He's sorry? My head hurts too much to argue with him. "It's fine" it wasn't but I was in too much pain to say anything else.
Loki disappeared quickly when Tony and Steve entered the room.
"Hey look who's awake!" Steve smiled.
"How're you doing kid?" Tony sat on the end of the bed.
"Ask me tomorrow" I joked. It hurt to laugh. It hurt to smile. Everything hurt.
"Just take it easy Y/N. You're on bed rest for at least the next two weeks, you got it?" Tony wiggled his finger at me giving me the orders.
"Good... I'm not sure I can face another Hulk session" I joked. With that Bruce had entered the room looking sad.
"Y/N" he nodded towards me. "I'm so sorry"
"Bruce don't worry. It's fine. I'm fine!" I reassured him but I could feel his guilt. Empath mode was in full swing. I could feel Tony's  worry but excitement for me being awake , Steve's  relief and hunger, and Tony's guilt.
"Right shake-ira we will leave you to rest. No late night parties or drunken antics. You stay" Tony ordered.
"Yes sir" I saluted to him.
"Do you need anything? Want any magazines or food?" Steve had already set up a television in the room for me.
"I'll have tea if you're making one" tea fixes everything.
The boys left and I sat staring out the window.
It's nice to have people that care. I couldn't help but feel worried for Loki. What will happen to him? Will he try this again? Was he lying about trying to help me or was he really just trying to hurt me?

My thoughts exhausted me and my eyes closed again.