Ch. 15- Broken Things

I hit the call button on my cell phone and placed it to my ear. "Kota? I need to ask you a question." I said through the phone. I sat on the metal bench next to my bag of clothes I was going to change into. 

Through the phone, Dakota Ayelet grumbled. I bet he was still sleeping, or whatever he does these days. He and his family are friends of ours. Sort of. His father, Kellan Ayelet, was made into a Vampire by mine. So technically, he is family. But not really. It is complicated but I have always seen him and his sister, Rosalind, as a part of our large family. "What do you want, Kala? I was trying to sleep here." 

"It's six in the morning," I replied. "And I need to find Kellan. Where is your father?" 

"Why do you want to know where he is?" he questioned in a low voice. I heard that he and his father had a complicated history. They would always argue with each other over various things, I heard from Carsten. It was understandable because of how Kellan is...he can get on everyone's nerves for just walking into the room. 

I unwrapped my bandage with one hand, realizing my wounds have healed completely. "No reason for you to know what I am up to, Kota. Where is he?" I asked again. 

"I am not telling you anything about his whereabouts until you tell me what you are planning." he argued. I rolled my eyes. Why do men have to be so complicated? I heard Dakota sit up from his bed through the phone. "Please, I want to know what is going on."

"You have to promise me you won't tell anyone else. Not even my parents." I warned. "I am not getting anyone else involved besides you and your father, who happen to have excellent tracking skills." 

"Oh, do tell, my friend." he said. "Don't leave me sitting on the edge of my seat. I might fall off." He was so similar to his father, it was odd sometimes. And yet, he looked so much like his mother at the same time. I admired Zahra. She cut off the head of a Soltari back then and everyone in our family would mention it from time to time. 

I untied my shoelaces and took off my tennis shoes, the phone still in hand. "I am going to track down Jesse Davenport. And I need Kellan's help to do that. Yours, also." I paused. "When I find him, Kota, I will make sure he knows just how much he hurt me." 

"Damn, girl." he said finally. "No need for such dramatics. I am getting up now to meet you. I'm guessing you're in the training room?"

"Yes." I said. "We have no time to waste, so get ready quickly."

"Eye-eye, Captain." he said mockingly. After a moment of silence, he spoke again. "I do have another question. Why isn't Aeson joining you on this mission?"

"He has other priorities at the moment. Just like I do." I admitted. "See you in a minute, Dakota." I clicked the end call button and set my phone to the side. I grabbed a new set of clothes and went into the training room bathroom, where there was a shower. I turned on the water and stepped it, cleaning myself as fast as I could. The hot water stung my still-healing skin but it helped. Somewhat.

Minutes went by and I stepped out of the shower with only a towel on. My wet hair clung to my back until I dried it off. As I put on my clothes, a pair of jeans and black ankle boots that made me taller with a short top the same color. It ended just above my belly button, leaving my stomach bare. Then, I put on a leather jacket and brushed my long hair. Once I was done doing that, I put my hair up and out of my face. 

I stared at myself in the mirror, not sure who exactly was looking back at me. I did not know what I've become in the last few weeks. I became a shell of a person, unable to feel or smile. There must be something wrong with me to feel like this. To treat my family like I am, keeping them at arm's length. I don't know why they even put up with me. Why they want to pick up the broken pieces of me that are sharp and try to fix me. I cannot be fixed. I am shattered glass and that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. 

"Kalama!" yelled Dakota from the other side of the door. I opened the door and steam from my shower rolled out. Dakota was taller than me and had more muscles, even when he was a few years younger than I was. His brown skin and eyes the color of blood, but darker. His sharp jawline could cut steel, same with his canines that he kept hidden. 

He wore a maroon t-shirt and black pants and shoes. Casual wear. A word that not a lot of Vampires in this castle know the meaning of, even my Father. He smiled at me and I had to fight the urge to roll my eyes. "And I thought I was the slowest at getting ready." he said. 

I walked past him and punched him in the shoulder. "Are you going to tell me where Kellan is? Or do I need to use my powers of persuasion for you to tell me?"

Kota placed his hands in his pockets. "Well, if you gave me a chance to speak, I will." he clenched his jaw, probably thinking about his father. Maybe. "He's in that little dungeon you found in your closet. He is helping Sebastian and Charles figure out what it is, I'm assuming." 

"So all of them are in there?" I questioned. 

"Kellan is the only one, as far as I can tell. The other two are probably busy with other things. You know how it is." he admitted. We walked out of the training room together, side by side. I let him talk because my mind was spiraling. And I had to keep it under control. "I mean, my Father, he's in there. He doesn't like anyone interrupting him when he is in the zone." 

"I know." I replied. "Let's go interrupt him, then."

And at that, he laughed. 

Maybe I was not broken at all because I managed to smile. Even when my life is falling apart. Even when I was tortured and almost beaten to death. Maybe, over time, I will slowly be put together again. We will have to see.