Part Eighteen

August 8, Saturday

Tessa King

"So, this entire thing was a dream," Devon asks while munching on his steamed broccoli.

I wait until I'm done chewing before I answer. "Just watch the movie."

He gets quiet and, between bites, speaks again. "Yeah, but like he just woke up. So all that just happened didn't really happen?"

I shush him. "Dev, shut up and watch. You're missing all the great dialogue." I turn my attention back to one of my favorite movies, The Big Sleep. I have a secret love for any film noir film, and I'm hoping to get Devon into the hype as well. It's been hard since he keeps asking questions during the most critical parts.

I reach over and dig into his plate, looking for another piece of broccoli. He fights me off with his own fork. "Hey, hey. You said you didn't want any vegetables. You were okay with just lo mien and chicken."

I shrug and continue fighting for the broccoli. "I changed my mind."

He smiles and sighs, handing me the container and grabbing the one on my nightstand. "Good thing I ordered extra."

I happily shift in bed and continue eating what was his food. "You know me a little too well, Devon."

"Well, that tends to happen when you spend every night with someone for two weeks."

I think about it, and he's right. Devon has been over here every night for the past 14 days. Each night, after work, I've come home by myself and just had a little me time. I would get laundry done or maybe worked on a few articles and leads I know about in the neighborhood. Sometimes I would Facetime with Delilah, Emily, and Dezzi. Then, around dinnertime, Devon shows up with food to cook or takeout. We eat dinner and talk about our days at work or whatever articles we're working on. We started a new show together, On My Block, but we both agreed not to watch any episodes without the other.

Each night, he's stayed over. We say goodbye in the morning, and I feel a sort of emptiness until I show up at the office, and he's sitting in his seat, smiling at me. There are definitely feelings developing for Devon, but I'm making sure to keep them in check. We are just friends with benefits, and I'm sure he knows that. Neither of us has hinted at wanting more than what we've been doing. I'm glad it hasn't come up. I don't want it to. I like things the way they are.

I was thrilled when I opened my door tonight, and he was on the other side, holding Chinese takeout and a bottle of wine. We immediately got in my bed and have been watching the movie ever since. I'm invested, even though I've seen this movie more than ten times, probably in the last month or so.

Devon is scrolling on his phone. "Hey, what do you want to do for your birthday next week?"

I continue focusing on the movie. "I don't know. Nothing, I guess. Ooh! We could watch another good movie. The Woman in the Window. It's actually super sad, and..." I look over, and Devon is still looking at his phone. I playfully knock it out of his hand. "How can you not pay attention to this cinematic genius?" I point to the television. "Do you know who that is?"

He shrugs. "No idea. Should I?"

I scoff. "Yes. You should. That's Humphrey Boggart." Devon still looks confused. "Wow. Do you live under a rock?"

He laughs. "Sorry. I'm not a noir nerd like you."

My mouth drops open. "I am not a nerd!"

"Yeah, you are. You're a sexy nerd, though." He grabs the container out of my hand and places it on the nightstand beside him, turning back around, and starts kissing my neck. His hand roams down to my chest, but as soon as he touches me, I wince. He pulls back. "What? What's wrong?"