Part Eleven

July 26, Sunday

Delilah Phifer

I slowly open my eyes, the crust almost keeping them glued shut. I have to blink a few times to steady my blurry vision. There's a taste in my mouth that reminds me of death, and my lips smack a couple of times. They are incredibly dry. All of these are just indications that I got a little too drunk last night, and now I'm facing the head pounding consequences of a hangover. I start to toss and turn in the bed when I realize I'm not in my own bed.

I quickly sit up and look around the unfamiliar room. My heart starts to race, and I look at the bed I'm in. It's not my normal magenta-colored duvet comforter that I'm used to it. It's a black one with yellow rose petals embedded into the stitching. I have no idea where I am or whose room I'm in. I look around, and nothing looks familiar. It's not Tessa's apartment. Emily's bedroom has too many United Kingdom memorabilia around. I don't see a large picture of Ethan Nestor anywhere, so it can't be Dezzi's place.

What exactly happened last night? I strain to try to remember the events, and nothing is coming back to me. The last thing I remember is showing up at Tessa's place around seven in the evening. I talked to her about taking a trip together and discussed Dezzi's move when she kicked me out after Devon showed up. She didn't give me a chance to pick at her about being weak. That's all I can recollect. It's blank afterward.

I look down at myself, and I'm half-naked. My clothes are in a pile on the floor next to the bed. Whatever happened last night was with someone else, and I hope she's hot. I'm the only one in the bedroom. I want to call out, but it might be best if I grab my clothes and sneak out before my one-night stand catches me and asks for some kind of commitment. Just as I'm about to get up, the door attached to the bedroom opens. I want to scream when I see who it is.

Olivia is standing in the doorway. Her hair is wet, and she's got a towel wrapped around her body. She smiles. "Wow, I can't believe you slept as long as you did. And you got so drunk last night. Since when have you been such a lightweight?"

I'm at Olivia's house? What the hell happened last night for me to end up in my ex-girlfriend's bed? Is this even her house? It doesn't look like her bedroom or what I remember of it. Without another word, I quickly get up, grab my clothes, and run out of the bedroom. I get lost in the hallways, not sure where I am or where the front door is. I throw on my tank top and pull my jeans up before trotting through the house again.

It's definitely Olivia's house because I recognize the furniture in the living room and her decorations on the wall. When did she move? That doesn't matter right now. I just have to get out of here. I finally find my way out of the house, and thankfully, my Jeep is parked in the driveway. I get in and pull the GPS up on my phone. I'm an hour away from my place. Olivia definitely moved. I don't take the time to admire the beautiful scenery outside. I quickly back out of the driveway and speed away.

As I drive, I try to focus on what I'm doing, but the thoughts of what could have happened last night are clouding my mind. I can't seem to get the events straight. Nothing is making sense. I don't know what could have happened after Tessa kicked me out for me to end up in Olivia's bed. What if I gave in and we're back together? Or was this just a desperate hookup?

I'm freaking out, and I hardly allow myself to feel this way. I'm usually calm and collected under any kind of pressure. I had to learn how to relax, especially after joining the music industry. All that training is out of the window. I finally make it home and turn my Do Not Disturb off on my phone. Once I get inside my apartment, I see I have five missed calls from Olivia. I can't talk to her right now. I don't know what I would even say to her. I don't know what I want, or maybe I do. No one has ever had my mind and heart in a scatter the way Olivia does. It scares me to know how vulnerable I can be around her, but that's probably why I was falling in love with her from the beginning.

Maybe I am in love with her, and ending the relationship didn't stop it. I ended up in her bed, so it is starting to make sense. Right? I could have gotten drunk, professed my love for Olivia, and we decided to get back together. I get back on my phone and search all over my social media accounts. Maybe there are some tweets or posts on my stories that can tell me what happened last night.

I spend about thirty minutes looking everywhere, and I find nothing. I didn't even see any candid photos of Olivia or me, and that's strange. Just as I give up hope, my phone rings. It's Jennifer. I quickly decline it, but she calls right back.

I answer it with a huff. "Yeah, hey. What's up?"

She speaks in her sultry voice that only annoys me. "I'm coming over. Get naked."

I rub my eyes. "Uh, Jennifer, listen, now is not the time."

"Oh, come on, D. I've missed you. You didn't even text me back last night. Did I do something wrong?"

I blink. "Wait, you texted me last night? Did you talk to me at all yesterday, sometime after seven o'clock?"

"No, I didn't. I tried to, but you're trying to ghost me. Anyway, I thought that since I can't come over, then how about we meet tonight at this cute little restaurant up the street from the studio."

"What? No." I thought she was over trying to date me, but it seems like I've hypnotized yet another hopeful.

Jennifer whines. "Oh, come on, Delilah. It's just one date."

I sigh with frustration. "Jennifer, I told you it's not a good time. I'm not looking for anything serious or monogamous with anyone right now. I told you that in the beginning, and you're still..."

She clears her throat aggressively. "Delilah, stop. Just give me a chance to make you happy."

"Goodbye, Jennifer." I hang up the phone and lock it. It immediately vibrates, and there's a text message from Jennifer.

"You can't get away from me this easily."

I toss my phone on the sofa beside me and lean back, trying to force myself to relax. It doesn't work. I need to figure out what happened with Olivia, but nothing is coming to me. I sigh and grab my laptop from the coffee table in front of me. The only thing that soothes me nowadays is writing, and that's what I'm going to do. Maybe I can get a number one hit from this entire experience. I just hope I don't turn this into a love song.