The boat scene

Since she had never seen the lights, and it was her birthday, he wanted her to hav the best view, so he rented a boat and rowed her out into the middle of the harbor. It was slowly getting darker, to pass the time, he pulled out some flowers he had bought her. He placed a few in her hair, allowing them to mix with the golden braid. He held the rest for her as she placed one after another into the water, letting them float across the blue pool. He watched her, that warm feeling sitting inside of him growing and growing, until it finally dawned on him. He had unintentionally and deeply fallen in love with the young woman sitting before him. He had fallen in love with the way her curious mind could not get enough of the world. He loved the way her artistic mind saw the world, not as it was but as it could be. He loved the way her eyes shone when she was excited. He loved the way she was wholly and completely her. He loved her and he would have to let her go soon.

Before his thoughts could go any further, he was thrown across the boat as Rapunzel jumped up at the sight of the first lantern. Now was the time. He pulled out two lanterns and lit them. He cleared his throat and she turned around, surprise and happiness was written all over her face as she came and sat in front of him.

"I have something for you too," she said, pulling out his satchel. He had completely forgotten about it, it may have been the original reason for this adventure, but it wasn't anymore. "I should have given it to yo before, but I was just scared. And the thing is, I'm not scared anymore, you know what I mean?"

"I'm starting to," he replied, never taking his eyes off her and moving the satchel away. He couldn't care less about it. In this moment, it was just her and that was all that mattered.

They watched the lanterns floating around them as he took her hands in his. They were so small and so soft compared to his. In someway, he felt like he did not deserve to touch her like this. He felt like everything he had done in his past, everything that had happened around him, made him unworthy of her. She was so pure and good and he was a common thief who ruined everything he touched. But looking up into her eyes, seeing that she cared too, he felt all of that disappear. It was just them. Looking into her eyes, he felt like he was enough for her.

She drew him in and before he knew it, he was close enough to kiss her. He could feel her warm breath on his cheek. But then he saw a very unwelcoming sight.

The Stabbington brothers.

They had found him. He wanted to kiss Rapunzel, but in that moment, it wouldn't be right. He knew it would be her first kiss, and he couldn't do that to her. He couldn't give her her first kiss while he was distracted. He couldn't give it to her while he had them sitting in the back of his mind.