A Rather Unfortunate Introduction

I wasn't supposed to be here, I think. Some twisted sense of fate, perhaps, or maybe just the humor of an old wizard. Either way, the last thing I expected to be doing at any point in my life would be recovering a lost kingdom from a dragon. I mean, come on, what sane person would?

Apparently, me.

Still, though, some good came out of the encounter. Despite all the peril, the fear, and near-death escapes, more good came out of it than bad, I believe. However, we've still got a long way ahead of us.

It's my turn to cook tonight. Dwalin says I make the best food out of all of us, but I think he's just being nice. If we had a real kitchen, access to all the spices, and time on our hands, I could really show my cooking.

It still makes me smile when they compliment my food, though. Makes me feel like I'm a part of the group, able to contribute. I cook every other night now, and I don't mind at all.

But, there's always that nagging voice in my head, telling me this will end. They'll find out, push me aside, leave me. I'm scared to listen, more so to believe it. They've become a family of sorts to me in the last couple months since we all met.

I shudder to think if they do that. And if they don't, and we succeed with our plan, where do I go afterwards?

I can't bear to think of it.

Thorin's voice pulls me out of my journal. My fingers stop after marking the end of the last sentence.

"Supper's ready. Elaina, you have first watch."

Later in the night, during my watch, my mind drifted back to when all this began; to when I first met the Company.

The first thing I remembered was how cold it had gotten. It was dark; definitely nightfall had come. Head spinning, body burning. I could barely think, and no hope of moving.

The nighttime noises around me slowly turned to voices. Male voices. I couldn't even begin to think whether they belonged to friend or foe. They were too far away to be completely understood, but the heavy running footsteps coming closer terrified me. I had no way to defend myself, no way to even hide. Had they seen me? I didn't even know where I was.

"It's a woman. Badly hurt. Oin, come give me a hand!" Hands gently pulled at my body, guiding me into an upright position. A weak groan of pain felt me, body on fire.

"You're in good hands now, lass. Don't you worry now."

For the next couple days, I faded in and out of consciousness, unknown hands tending to me and trying to bring my fever down. Some of the voices around me were kind, others gruff and harsh.

"...drop her off at the nearest village..."

"Where...too weak right now..."

Before I could worry about the faint words I heard, my exhaustion came over me yet again.

Over the next few days, my strength slowly returned to me. My body was riddled with bruises and healing bones, but by now I could move around some. I had only caught glimpses of my rescuers. I didn't know how many there were.

I had managed to sit up from my little resting spot. I could clearly see my surroundings now; it was a run-down cabin of sorts, holes in the walls and ceilings. It was clear that the place was abandoned.

The door to the small room I was in opened, making me jump in fear.

A dwarf, clearly older judging by his completely grey hair and bead, sported a metal instrument in his hand.