"Oh, piss off, " Stevie said, "just because you didn't sleep last night and made me stay up with you, does not mean you can be moody." Both Frankie and Bambi eyebrow rose at that, but before Stevie could wiggle her way out the bell rung. Save by the bell.

Potions had been absolutely dreadful as Stevie, who had spilt their potion all down herself grumbled on their way to Defense against the dark arts. Frankie was in fits of laughter, while Joined onto the queue into the classroom, Umbridge had them all wait in a single file, before allowing them in, one by one. Stevie pulled a face, falling into the seat next to Bambi at the back of the classroom.

"Well, good afternoon!" she said when finally the whole class had sat down. There were meek mumbles of response.

"Tut, tut," said Professor Umbridge. "That won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good afternoon, Professor Um- bridge.' One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!"

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," they chanted back at her. Bambi and Stevie rolled there eyes.

"There, now," said Professor Umbridge sweetly. "Wands away and quills out, please." Bambi's eyebrows frowned at the order.

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it?" stated Professor Umbridge, turning to face the class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. "You will be pleased to know, however, that these problems are now to be rectified. We will be following a carefully structured, theory- centered, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year."

"Has everybody got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?" Stevie slammed the book onto their table in response.

"I should like you to turn to page five and read chapter one, 'Basics for Beginners.' There will be no need to talk." Frankie turned back to face them scowling. Meanwhile, Stevie mumbled foul things into the book and Bambi was near asleep. Bushing a strand of her hair away, she looked up to see Hermione had not opened her book up. It seemed she was not the only one staring.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" Umbridge asked Hermione, as though she had only just noticed her.

"Not about the chapter, no," said Hermione. "I've got a query about your course aims," Professor Umbridge raised her eyebrows. "There's nothing written up there about using defensive spells."

There was a short silence in which many members of the class turned their heads to frown at the three-course aims still written on the blackboard. Bambi, who had now only decided to read it was scowled.

"Using defensive spells?" Professor Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"

"We're not going to use magic?" Stevie ejaculated loudly.

"Students raise their hands when they wish to speak in my class, Miss ?"

"Ross," said Stevie, thrusting her hand into the air, earning a snicker from both Bambi and Frankie. Harry and Hermione's hand were raised too and Umbridge lingered on Harry for a mere moment.

"Yes, Miss Granger? You wanted to ask something else?"

"Yes," said Hermione. "Surely the whole point of Defense Against the Dark Arts is to practice defensive spells?" Murmurs of agreement followed.

"Are you a Ministry-trained educational expert, Miss Granger?" asked Professor Umbridge in her falsely sweet voice.

"No, but —"

"Well then, I'm afraid you are not qualified to decide what the 'whole point' of any class is. Wizards much older and cleverer than you have devised our new program of study. You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way —"

"What use is that?" said Harry loudly. "If we're going to be attacked it won't be in a —" Bambi eyed him cautiously, worried for his temper.

"Hand, Mr Potter!" sang Professor Umbridge. He trusted his fist into the air, while Umbridge turned. Bambi, along with several others had their hands up too.

"Mr Steffersion?" Professor Umbridge said to Frankie, avoiding Bambi purposely.

"Well, it's like Harry said, isn't it?" said Frankie. "If we're going to be attacked, it won't be risk-free —"

"I repeat," said Professor Umbridge, smiling in a very irritating way, "do you expect to be attacked during my classes?"

"No, but —" Professor Umbridge talked over him.

"I do not wish to criticize the way things have been run in this school," she said, an unconvincing smile stretching her wide mouth, "you have been introduced to spells that have been complex, inappropriate to your age group, and potentially lethal. You have been frightened into believing that you are likely to meet Dark attacks every other day —"

Bambi, who could not stand the voice of the women any longer allowed the anger to seep through. "You've got to be kidding me." Umbridge turned sharply to her, eyes wide. "You and I, both know the Ministry is shitting themselves about what -"

"Language! Mrs Winters!" Umbridge was applauded, but Bambi was only egged on when Harry beamed at her.

"Now, it is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be more than sufficient to get you through your examination, which, after all, is what school is all about."

"And what good's theory going to be in the real world?" said Harry loudly, his fist in the air again.

Professor Umbridge looked up."This is school, Mr Potter, not the real world," she said softly.

Harry pressed further and Bambi found it weirdly attractive at his sudden outburst. Stevie nudged her grinning, also seeming proud. "So we're not supposed to be prepared for what's waiting out there?"

"There is nothing waiting out there, Mr Potter."

"Oh yeah?" said Harry. His temper rose.

"Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourselves?" inquired Professor Umbridge in a horribly honeyed voice.

"Hmm, let's think . . ." said Harry in a mock thoughtful voice, "maybe Lord Voldemort?" While gasps echoed, Bambi fully grinned, proudly. Umbridge, who did not flinch, stared at him with a grimly satisfied expression on her face.

"Now, let me make a few things quite plain" she walked between the desk, slowly. "You have been told that a certain Dark wizard has returned from the dead. This is a lie."

"It is NOT a lie!" said Harry. "I saw him, I fought him!"

"Detention, Mr. Potter!" said Professor Umbridge triumphantly. "Tomorrow evening. Five o'clock. My office. I repeat this is a lie. The Ministry of Magic guarantees that you are not in danger from any Dark wizard." Bambi's eyes were full of hatred as the women sat into her desk. Harry, however, stood up.

"Harry, no!" Hermione whispered in a warning voice, tugging at his sleeve, but Harry jerked his arm out of her reach - just like he had done with Bambi.

"So, according to you, Cedric Diggory Had dropped dead of his own accord, did he?" Harry asked, his voice shaking. Eyes all ran across to where Stevie, Frankie and Bambi sat. She did not know what to do, so simply watched Umbridge, fully ready for her response.

"Cedric Diggory's was a tragic accident - " she said coldly.

"Fuck off," Bambi yelled, Umbridge chest was now heaving heavily, "Cedric just died out of nowhere? Cedric and Harry saw him and they survived! You, don't get to talk any shit about them.

"Detention Mrs Winters!" Harry who had a grin plastered on his face turned to Bambi, "The Royal family should be ashamed."