Prologue

Homecoming

It was night time in Asgard, and the city lights twinkled brightly against the stark contrast of the deep blue sky. Gazing out of her window, Lucy could clearly see the phosphorescent glow of the Rainbow Bridge, its bright yet calming colours soothing her. 

She let out a sigh, running her fingertips along the gold leaf windowsill at her balcony. The paint was cold beneath her touch, but the familiarity of it grounded her. She could smell the soft scent of jasmine from the candle burning on her bedside table. There was a soft thudding coming from the hallway, the sound of heavy boots traipsing across a soft carpet. 

Turning her gaze away from the window and towards the doorway, a slight smile pulled up at the corners of Lucy's mouth. The doors swung open gently, the golden roses she had painted on them catching slightly in the moonlight shining through her window, gnarls of thorns snaking down and intertwining with one another. In the doorway stood her brother, Thor, his long golden hair tumbling over his broad, muscular shoulders, and a soft grin spread across his face. Behind him , another grinning face appeared, framed in a wild tumble of long black hair.

 Loki.

Lucy's smile grew at the sight of them both, here with her. Her brothers. 

"We made it," said Thor, gently striding into her room to stand with her by the window, Loki following suit. "We made it." Lucy lifted her face to his once he had taken his place beside her, and caught the caring gaze he cast at her, but she did not miss the shadows lurking around his normally bright blue irises. 

Thor's gaze dropped from hers and went to her window, looking down at the beautiful city of Asgard, a soft smile now playing on his lips, but the shadows in his eyes still remaining. Lucy placed a hand on his arm, now looking to Loki. Shadows wreathed his sharp features, remnants of what he had gone through in the past year. He met her gaze, his grin ever-present and twinkling. She grinned back and nudged him playfully with her shoulder. He let out a sigh, and they both followed Thor's gaze to stare out at their city, the Rainbow Bridge lighting up the scenery and merging with the light of the moon.  She was home.