Chapter 1: Dont Let Her Go

Jace
I woke up next to Clary, my head close to her hair, I took a deep breath, and smiled gently pulling her closer. Her eyes fluttered and opened, and she slowly turned to face me.
"Morning" she said softly
"Morning." I replied kissing her head.
She smiled, and slipped out of my arms, trying to get up. But I pulled her back down on the bed next to me. She couldn't help but giggle.
"I love you Jace, but I have to get up now."
Clary whispered. I groaned letting go of her
"Fine."
She kissed me soft, and briefly before rolling off the bed onto her feet. I watched her enter the bathroom and heard her turn on the shower.
I lifted myself off the bed and walked out to go shower.
I walked into my room and opened the blinds. It was a dark day, I sighed. Figuring it would rain before too long. I slipped into the shower and before long was dressed in my usual dark jeans and black T-shirt. I walked out into the hallway and ended up smacking right into Isabelle.
"Hey, watch it!" She shrieked as books tumbled out of her hands.
"I'm sorry Iz" I said apologetically, then helped her with the books.
"It's good, I just have to get these to the library for Simon"
"Gotcha. You seen Clary?" I asked.
She shook her head, "no, not recently, sorry" she answered disappearing down the hallway with her books.
I shrugged and continued walking down the hallway. I walked to Clary's room, and knocked but there was no answer. I walked around checking rooms, until I went up, to the greenhouse. I opened the door slowly looking inside.
"Clary?" I called.
She was sitting on the floor leaning against the wall, her knees pulled to her chest. Wearing jeans, and a teal tank top with a leather jacket pulled over her shoulders. She was twirling a small dark flower in her hand. Her emerald eyes flicked up at me then down again at the flower. I walked slowly over, sliding down onto the ground next to her.
"Hey."
Silence.
"Come on, I'm fun to talk to and you know it" I said nudging her slightly.
She smiled lightly, but still only silence from her thin lips. I lifted my two fingers up to stroke her cheek. She closed her eyes, tilting her head and resting it on my shoulder.
I smiled and kissed her temple gently running my fingers through her hair.
"It's so peaceful up here" she said softly .
I nodded "We should do something"
She nodded, and lifted her head up off my shoulder. I stood, and took her hand pulling her up next to me. She stumbled and ran into me nearly falling.
Blushing, she said "sorry, I'm such a klutz"
I smiled "I think it's cute."
She giggled and leaned into me as we walked out of greenhouse, down the stairs, and out of the institute. As we walked down the stairs I slipped my fingers through her hand and squeezed.
She squeezed back, and we walked on the sidewalk through town.
Mid-Afternoon it continued to get darker as the clouds rolled in. Clary hadn't said much, and I was beginning to get worried. I didn't want to push her, but my concern wasn't fading.
"Are you okay?" I asked.
She glanced at me those green eyes solemn.
"It's strange." She said quietly.
"What is?"
"I don't feel safe, and I keep having these nightmares I can't shake."
I looked at her for a moment then I pushed her against a nearby tree leading into the park, resting my forehead on hers.
She gasped in surprise at first, but smirked.
"I'm here, I'm not going anywhere, and I will protect you. No matter what."
She smiled, I could feel her relax. I closed the space between us, connecting our lips, and my tongue slipping into her mouth. She kissed back.
Then suddenly thunder cracked, and rain began to fall lightly, then pounding harder. I laughed, grabbing Clary's hand and began to run back to the institute.
When we got to the doors I kissed her again softly, and then pulled her inside through the doors, laughing, and soaked to the bone.
We walked upstairs, and when we reached my room Clary said,
"I should probably go get changed."
I sighed, I didn't want her to leave yet.
"I have some spare clothes you can change into, come on."
I pulled her into my room with me, and gave her a navy blue T-shirt and sweatpants to change into. She slipped into the bathroom while I pulled on a blue T-shirt and some pajama pants, since it was getting late. I lay atop my covers and closed my eyes.
The bathroom door opened with a creak and I looked up and tried to hide my laugh. The T-shirt practically drowning her.
"Come here." I said, motioning for her to lay beside me.
She came over and lay next to me, and I put my arm around her kissing her head. You're safe, get some sleep.
She closed her eyes and drifted off, and soon I relaxed and fell asleep as well.