Of the things we lose: part 1

It was just after noon when he finally spotted the great Moon-tower of Minas Morgul.

Gandalf prompted his steed to slow down to a light gallop as they continued down the broken stone road. Shadowfax instead of just slowing down, came into a full stop. Gandalf, intrigued, followed the horse's gaze. Needless to say, he almost fell of the horse's back with how strongly he jumped, surprised by the presence of a black mare right next to him.

It took maybe a second for Gandalf to compose himself and smile lightly at the curious animal.

"Well, hello... you...."

The mare gave a soft huff and went on her way, strangely enough, towards the city. Shadowfax quietly neighed in discontent as he slowly started following behind the retreating horse.

Despite still being under construction and with many shuttle details changed, the main street of the now Minas Morgul still glowed and frizzled with the life and content of mind of the citizens and guards around him that it glowed with on the day it was first opened despite the mistrust flowing from them and towards him.

And yet, every turn and corner provided a small heart attack to the aging wizard.

The first thing he noticed within the city, however, was that of the unseen world.

There were several necromancers and the undead close by, Gandalf could feel them, and yet none of the spirit of the fallen soldiers forever doomed to patrol the city or even the wraiths trying to go about the lives they lost despite the limited scope of their mind didn't seem to be enthralled by anyone within the land, and seemed more like actual individuals within the unseen world.

Most, despite being weakened by it, didn't even pull away from the light of Valinor that the wizard emited.

Maybe he'll be able to ask the nazgûl about them if all goes well.

The street itself was serene and peaceful despite the voices fighting for dominance in the market. Every crook and forgotten ally way seemed to be guarded by patrols.

The sight of the intermingling races brought on the strongest wave of hope the Istar has felt for quite some time.

Gandalf almost fell of his companions back when seeing a dire caragor pick up a complaining child by their shirt only to calm down after seeing that the beast was trained to keep the children close to their caretakers.

Gandalf couldn't help but smile to himself.

Mainly orcs held the position of the city guard with a few humans and even dwarfs mixed in and yet they, all apparently obeyed the command of a somewhat nervous and yet stern looking young woman, her short blond hair nearly reaching the shoulder plates of her traditional Minas Tirith armour.

The wizard gave a small, humble bow in greeting as she approached.

"Gandalf the White at your service, captain..."

"Idril. And I assume you are here for the peace talks, are you not?"

The wizard gave a soft smile.

"That I am. Despite the beauty of the city I woul like to meet with your leader to discuss the cease fire and leave as soon as possible."

Idril, for a split second, tensed up before giving the maiar an undecipherable look.

"He's not available at the moment, but he should be back come nightfall. I apologize for the inconvenience."

"There is no need to apologize, I do not mind the wait. At least I will be able to go through my materials or just explore the city and meet some local people before our meeting. I admit, the longer I am here, the more curious I become about the city."