Best of a Bad Situation

Hey all, I'm really happy to see all the positive feedback the first chapter got! I created a bit of a backlog of chapters for this story while some of the illustrations were being made, which also gave me some time to plan the upcoming story elements. I have a few major arcs planned before the beginning of RWBY, with all of them being fully original. It's a much longer process than I'm used to, but I am really enjoying creating all this new content and I hope you all are enjoying reading it. As always, I'll be reading any comments you all post to see where I can improve and what parts you all like. I've also started creating teasers for upcoming chapters that I link to on my Ko-fi page or my Discord server from time to time. If any of you are interested, there are links to both in my Wattpad bio. Hope you enjoy!

----------

The sound of glass smashing filled the room as the bullets whizzed by you and Roman, both of you leaping into cover as patrons ran out screaming, the gunmen continuing to fire regardless. You and Roman exchanged blows with them where you could, using the brief intervals they needed to reload to take them out with your weapons. Despite that though, more kept coming, and your minimal cover was quickly being destroyed by their attacks.

Roman: "Oh yeah, this is DEFINITELY 'minimal security'!"

You: "You seriously expect anything else at this point?!"

A bullet barely scraped by your cheek, making you flinch immediately after. It had almost been two weeks now since you started working for Ivory, being sent on job after job to aid in her plans. As per her orders, your task today was to deal with the competition in another area of town, heading to a popular drug den to trash it, which had, unfortunately, lead to the situation you were in now. This was far more than anyone else could realistically do with only two people. You chucked out a hard-light chip, ricocheting it off a wood pillar and forming a forcefield directly in front of the enemy's line of fire. Their bullets quickly began bouncing back at them off the shield, taking a few out and giving you and Roman a chance to go on the offensive. The forcefield shut down at just the right time, Roman sending his cane out to pull one goon closer before you hit him with your knee in the jaw. You got to work, kicking up one of the weapons an enemy hand dropped and striking it with a wind chip, sending it hurling around one cutthroat at supersonic speeds. As soon as it hit him, he was knocked out, with you leaping into the air and kicking the gun into another nearby goon before superheating it, burning the enemy in the process. You landed close by to Roman, tossing an electricity chip into the air, with Roman using the curved handle of his cane to send it flying into a nearby enemy, paralyzing them.

You: "We have more company!"

Roman: "I'm not blind! Ideas?!"

All the gunfire and fighting seemingly attracted reinforcements, combatants showing up in the doorway you had entered from, their guns ready to fire. You both ducked behind the tables your previous fighters had used for cover, the new arrivals seemingly not caring that their hail of gunfire towards you took out their own allies in the process. You were clearly outnumbered and couldn't keep this up indefinitely. Looking around for an exit, you spotted the piles of dust infused drugs on the remaining tables. You looked over at Roman, with him quickly realizing your idea.

Roman: "Ivory said she wanted this place in one piece!"

You: "You got a better idea?!"

Seeing no other option, Roman readied himself, aiming his cane at the piles of drugs. As soon as he did, a few of the gunmen realized your plans, trying their best to flee as Roman shot out a flare. In the instant the product imploded, you slammed a hard-light chip onto the ground, creating a temporary forcefield around you and Roman to shield you from the blast. The first explosion quickly set off a chain reaction, detonating any other nearby Dust in the area. Splinters of wood and other debris flew around everywhere, the ground beneath you being destroyed and the forcefield you had shutting down. Roman seemed unprepared for the reaction, trying to shield himself from the blast, to little success. You acted as fast as you could, using your semblance to take control of Roman and throw the both of you out of the nearest window. The explosion threw you forward through into another building, both you and Roman landing hard. You felt your aura failing as you gritted your teeth, trying your best to get up.