At her words, the crowd once again quieted before the farmer who had first come to recruit her and Mando for the job spoke. "What is that?"

Despite his words, however, Kasia felt a flash of anxiety—not curiosity—from the krill farmer. He knew what she meant when she referred to the AT-ST but was trying to play innocent rather than admitting to the omission of truth.

Really? You want to play that game?

Kasia flashed him a small, coy smile, "The armored walker with two enormous guns that you knew about and didn't tell us," she replied coldly, an evident bite in her words.

For a moment, none of the farmers replied. Then, they once again began pleading for her, Mando, and Cara's help, insisting that they had hired the three of them and thus the trio was obligated to help.

At the obvious pattern this conversation was taking, Kasia sighed slightly. Evidently, they don't seem to understand that groveling isn't going to help them convince us, she thought.

Suddenly, a warm voice spoke up from the front of the crowd, somehow rising above all others despite the notably softer tone, "We have nowhere to go," Omera insisted quietly, her gaze pinned on Mando. At the look, Kasia glanced at him; while his helmet was titled away, somehow she could tell that his eyes were pinned on the beautiful mother in front of him.

"Sure, you do," Cara replied as Kasia remained silent. "This is a big planet. I mean, I've seen a lot smaller."

At the words, Kasia refrained from rolling her eyes. That may be true, but it doesn't mean shit to them. And indeed, moments after Kasia's thought, the villagers exploded in protest.

"My grandparents seeded these pods."

"It took generations."

In response to the villagers' outcries, Cara nodded slightly in what Kasia supposed was supposed to but understanding, "I understand. I do. But there are only three of us."

At her words, something clicked in Kasia's brain and she straightened slightly. For a moment she examined the farmers in front of them an idea slowly taking shape in her mind. It wasn't a very good idea—honestly it was rather insane—but it was an idea. And right now, she knew that there was no chance that the villagers would let them leave without facing the raiders.

"No there's not," she murmured quietly, contradicting Cara's claim that there were only three of them. Slowly, she felt everyone's attention shift to her, her words piquing the curiosity of the entire gathered crowd. Shaking her head, she forged on, "There's at least twenty here. What I mean is, there would be twenty if they," she nodded at the congregated farmers in front of them, "were to fight."

At her words, there was silence for a moment before the villagers erupted in agreement, a tidal wave of determination and resolution searing away the anger and disappointment which had previously been radiating from the crowd.

At her side, she felt Cara nudge her slightly, incredulity apparent on her face, "I mean fighters. Be realistic."

The crowd began to insist that they could learn to fight if the three of them taught them when Kasia suddenly heard Mando's voice rise above the other thoughts and emotions swirling around in her head.

Do you really think it could work? he asked, his words and tone emotionless even in her head.

Glancing over her shoulder to where he stood behind them, she nodded once. They're farmers, she willed her eyes to communicate silently. They've worked hard with tools and such all their lives. They're certainly not soldiers, but they may be strong enough to hold their own. And if we teach them...

Mando continued to stare at her a moment more before Kasia heard Cara speak again.

"I've seen that thing take out entire companies of soldiers in a matter of minutes," the ex-shock trooper protested, her eyes darting from the crowd to Kasia's face. Kasia felt something in her stomach twist as the memory of her own encounters with AT-STs in the past resurfaced at Cara's words.

Again there was a soft murmuring from the crowd, before Omera boldly replied, "We're not leaving," her words leaving little room for argument.

"You cannot fight that thing," Cara told her plainly, pinning her with a cold look.

You truly think that they can do it? Mando asked Kasia again silently, hesitation and consideration both clear now in his thoughts.

And though Kasia wasn't sure that they could do it, though she had little confidence in the plan she had conjured, she glanced once again towards the armored Mandalorian and she nodded.

From his spot behind the two of them, Mando glanced away from Kasia and studied the crowd for a moment. Kasia and Cara were right—they were certainly not fighters. Not yet anyway. But...

As Kasia turned back to face Cara and the rest of the crowd, opening her mouth to speak and refute Cara's statement, Mando spoke up for the first time since the beginning of the conversation. His eyes pinned once again on Kasia's back underneath his helmet as he answered Cara quietly.

"Unless we show them how."

*.*.*

So technically the book is only at 599 reads and the goal was 600 but also I can't be bothered to wait for one more person so here ya go.

Next goal: 750 reads or 52 votes!