Now that there was less mist and storm clouds I could see the sprawling city beneath us. There was so much life hidden from view in this dark place. We ran down the rest of the pathway and into the sea of smells and colour and shouting and singing and crying and laughing. There was so much emotion and brightness and it was all under the shadow of the castle above us.

Was the dark watch tower a protector or a prison guard?

These people seemed happy. Even as they wiped their heads from the heat, there was an element of cheer to every aspect of the town. We stopped by and bought little pieces of jewelry, and watched street performers sing and play instruments. I even saw U-jin smile at a band of people dressed like cows, giving a musical interpretation of a cow's life from a very in depth birth scene to a much too long death scene, to a sale of beef on a stick. U-jin couldn't eat his, but Nari and I giggled the entire time.

"Do you know any good places for lunch?" I asked U-jin.

"The castle?" He gestured to the palace. "Where people are there for your wedding and your husband is probably searching for you."

"He's not searching for me." I rolled my eyes. "We're married now. He doesn't have to helicopter me anymore."

"Don't count on it," he muttered darkly beneath his breath. I rolled my eyes and pulled Nari to the best smelling place.

"There's three of us." I told the man at the front. He smiled and guided us to a table with matts by the window. I sat down and crossed my legs and tapped the table with excitement. We ordered their signature meal. They lit the fire in the middle of the table and started putting different meats on it. U-jin sat across from us.

"I should get Kai a peace offering." I nodded. "I'll make him a deal. If you ignore me, then I'll ignore you. Does that sound brilliant or what?"

"No!" They both spoke at once.

"You have to try!" Nari rolled her eyes. "Don't let your dramatic nature ruin things from the start."

"A gift could be a good idea though." U-jin looked outside the window at the chattering crowd. "What were you thinking?"

"I don't know. You're a man of taste and you know Kai well. What does he want?" I leaned forward and ate a piece of meat off of the middle of the table. It blinked up at the ceiling and a long sigh escaped me.

"This is so good. Try some." I put some on his plate and he ate it and started nodding as swallowed.

"It is." He beamed, then thought for a moment.

"I could always give him the painting." I grinned and touched my tongue to my teeth and U-jin massaged his temples.

"Definitely not. You could give him..." U-jin stared intently like he would see the gift in front of him if he focused.

"We'll browse the market after lunch." I gave him a small pat on the head and she shot me a stare that warned me never to repeat the act.

"So tell me about this painting." Nari's eyes searched mine, and I ran my tongue along my teeth and let out a breathy laugh.

"You'd absolutely hate it."

...

"He has a dozen daggers already." U-jin motioned for us to move on. I dragged my feet and wished I had ridden a horse to town to spare my feet the feeling of being turned leaden from all the incessant walking!

"Earrings?" I asked as we passed a jewelry stall. We were in the far outer rim of the market place and it was already going to be a long walk back. I rolled my shoulders back and looked to the sun for help in my healing process. I looked and saw a dark tent with a man sitting outside. "What's in there?"