Chapter Six

For a moment we just stared into each other's harsh gazes, each one of us waiting for the other to act out. I felt my heart ramming against my ribs, echoing in an incessant drumming in my ears. He took his hand off my chin and grabbed my arm.

He pulled me out of the line of servants and he started storming through the halls. As we came closer to the seamstress's workplace she came to stand in the doorway. She shrugged and sighed when she saw me. I mouthed I'm dead anyways. I dragged the pointer finger of my free hand across my neck and held up the black fabric in her hands. I managed to smile before we passed her.

Once she was gone I had no eyes to meet. So I closed them and pretended I was at home, being dragged by the guards back into the castle after a day out in the capitol. They would take me to the throne room and force me to my knees and I would study the all too familiar patterns on the ground and make shapes from the patterns. My father always said the same thing.

"Why waste your time like this? Now I have to waste mine." He'd make a motion with two fingers and they'd take thick strips of leather and hit back until the first sign of blood came. The moment they saw blood they stopped before they left too large of a scar. I still had a few. I used to pray They would hit me hard enough to bleed the first time.

My mother still cried every time. She would always scold me and ask me why I kept running away. Why I couldn't just stay put and find something else to do with my time. Why I couldn't just stay quiet and not say the wrong thing to the wrong lord. Why I couldn't smile when I was furious. Why I was always an open, boring, predictable book.

I asked myself that sometimes too.

Then he locked my door.

And I'd have to do it again.

He yanked open the door to my room and I slammed against the wall and bounced back. I held out my hand to stop it from hitting me as he pulled me through the door. He let go of me and I stumbled back a few steps. He looked like he was going to say something then he stopped and closed the door. I backed into a chair and gripped the back of it. He closed the door.

I could see how hard he was breathing.

He started walking towards me and I panicked and crouched down, protecting my face and neck. I waited for the expectant kick but instead he yanked the hairpin from my hair. The makeshift bun fell loose around my shoulders. He grabbed my arm and lifted me up.

"How did you get past the guards?" He was gripping my arm so tight I had to stop myself from crying out. Was I supposed to die so afraid? Well, yes, but I wasn't just going to give him what he wanted either.

"Witchcraft." I snapped back. He let go of me and tried to open the doors to the terrace - locked. He went to the bedroom and I followed him in. There was no hiding the moved bed and chain of bed sheets hanging outside the window. The wind and rain caused the window to slam open and shut.

King Kai scowled and started pulling the sheets back inside. They were soaked and he dried his hands on his trousers then glared back at me. He clasped the window shut. I doubted I'd be able to use that as my method of escape again. I didn't want to stay trapped in this room with him. He wouldn't be so calm for much longer.

I walked back into my sitting room and started to pace back and forth. He walked back in a pace much too slow to be anything other than calculated. My hands were shaking again. I hid them behind my back.

"I need to get your guards back, but I can't trust you to stay here, can I?" He glared at me and looked at the maid outfit I was wearing. "I should fire the entire staff for treason."

He walked up to me with sudden determination. He pulled a pin out of the dress I was wearing. He stayed close to me, his glare managed to make me shake even harder from up closer. He held it up in front of me.