Chapter 6 - Meeting

When times were rough, he was always there for me, by my side, no matter what

When times were rough, he was always there for me, by my side, no matter what. Sure, life had been tough, but that's no excuse. 

"Welcome to the Southern Water Tribe, Avatar Aang," Chief Hakoda said while bowing low to honor him. Aang had never been fond of the attention he got because of the title. Even in Ba Sing Se, girls threw themselves at Aang, and even went as far as proposing to him! It would be wrong to say I was jealous, I was FURIOUS! Did those girls not realize Aang already had a girlfriend, me! But I was afraid that will change. 

"No need for formalities," Aang said, trying to contain his anger and keeping a straight face. Aang had trouble containing his anger, especially when it came to the people he loved.

"I suppose you will be participating in the competition?" my dad asked, not completely sure of his assumption. After all, I and Aang had only been dating for a year. But their relationship had come in contact with and conquered, many obstacles, and this was no exception. From overwhelming fangirls to Ozai loyalists. 

"Yes, sir, I will," Aang's firm answer shocked me, he wasn't one to rush decisions, and I was secretly hoping he was going to propose to me. 

"Wonderful, I will get you one of the guest chambers across from Katara's room at the palace." 

The palace? All I knew as the South was short and stubby igloos!

"Since when was there a palace?" I asked, clearly annoyed at the major changes my father had made without consulting me.

"We started renovating the village and some builders from the North came." While my dad was saying this, I could tell he was jittery, and that was saying a lot - my dad, the chieftain of the Southern Water Tribe - was the strongest person I know.

Anger started boiling inside me and I opened my mouth to yell at him. Just as I was about to, Aang intertwined his fingers with mine and gave my hand a little squeeze, knowing I was on the verge of breaking out. I loved how Aang and I had this kind of relationship. It was Yin and Yang, he helped me and I helped him. That was what made our relationship stand out.

Aang quickly bid my dad goodbye and started walking towards one of the many ice carriages on the pathway. I hadn't realized till now how cold it was, I had gotten used to the warmer, Fire Nation weather and the nice spring in Ba Sing Se. 

Our heads were down to avoid any attention and just as we were about to step in the carriage, a hand stopped me.

"Miss me?" His voice rang through my ears and looked up to be met with a tall, brown-haired man with a very intimidating smirk on his face.