Chapter 2: Fire Night

Start from the beginning

They shoved her again, and she staggered, falling toward the forest floor. I didn't know what I was doing. I could barely remember how to breathe. But where my mind failed me, my power did not. 

I emerged from the shadows behind her, my hands reaching out to catch her before she hit the ground. The moment my skin touched hers, my vision sharpened. The world came back into focus, every sense awake. It was her, she was here. My voice reverberated from my throat, my mind hardly fast enough to form words. 

"There you are." The mask I'd grown so accustomed to these past forty-nine years was easy to slip back into. Too easy for my liking, but it worked. The three faeries froze, eyes wide with fear. "I've been looking for you." 

I didn't know what I was saying. The truth slipped out before I could stop it. She's here, she's here, she's here.

I set her back on her feet, noting the way her hands twitched to her sides. So she was armed, then. I slid my arm around her shoulders before she could do anything stupid, and turned my gaze back to the three faeries. 

"Thank you for finding her for me," I said, letting some carefully polished ease slip into my voice. I narrowed my gaze ever so slightly, a clear order to go. "Enjoy the Rite." 

The three faeries stiffened but obediently shuffled away, back to the bonfire. The moment they were gone, she ducked out of my arm and turned to look at me. 

I almost went to my knees right then and there. She was so young. So mortal, so breakable. Her golden-brown hair glittered in the dancing firelight, her stormy blue eyes so at odds with the red glow adorning her figure. Despite the fact that I'd just saved her, she looked apprehensive, untrusting, her lips drawn in a thin line. 

A small scatter of freckles dotted her nose. It took everything in me not to stare at them. I couldn't move, could barely breathe, as we stood staring at each other. I knew immediately that while I might know her, she had no idea who I was. No recognition shone in her eyes. 

But she was here. And I'd possibly just made the worst mistake of my life, showing my hand as I had. 

I drew in an unsteady breath, and let a small smile fall onto my mouth. 

 "What's a mortal woman doing here on Fire Night?" I managed to say, forcing my shoulders to relax into a casual stance. But her features sharpened, and she took a step back. 

"My friends brought me," She said, her voice low and even. I almost laughed at the absurdity of the lie. Fae aren't friends with humans.

"And who are your friends?" I asked, leaning closer to her. Her scent was so intoxicating, I could hardly think around it. I should walk away. I should leave her before someone saw and reported back to Amarantha. The thought stilled my racing heart, allowing my mind to clear somewhat. 

"Two ladies," She replied, taking another step back. 

"Their names?" I slipped my hands into the pockets of my jacket and stepped closer again, herding her toward the bonfire. She didn't answer me this time, her eyes gleaming with fear. I reckon I probably scared her more than those faerie bastards had. 

When it became clear she wasn't going to answer me, I laughed softly. "You're welcome." The cold arrogance I'd so carefully crafted dripped off my every word. "For saving you." 

She stiffened, her eyes darting back to the bonfire behind her. It was obvious she wanted nothing to do with me. But I couldn't let her go just yet, despite what I knew would happen if I lingered too long.

"Strange for a mortal to be friends with two faeries," I purred, circling around her and herding her another step back. "Aren't humans usually terrified of us? And aren't you, for that matter, supposed to keep to your side of the wall?" 

Idle chatter. I had no intentions of finding out why she was here. I didn't want to know who she was. I didn't even want to know her name. The less I knew about this strange mortal, the better. 

"I've known them my whole life. I've never had anything to fear from them." She said, following my circling carefully. 

I paused, now standing between her and the bonfire. I saw her clench her fists slightly, her eyes narrowing as she realized I'd blocked her escape route. 

"And yet they brought you to the Great Rite and abandoned you," I noted. 

"They went to get refreshments," She said. I grinned at her. She was either a terrible liar or tragically misinformed. Perhaps both.

"I'm afraid the refreshments are a long way off," I said, stepping closer. "It might be a while before they return. May I escort you somewhere in the meantime?" I offered her my arm, but I knew she wouldn't take it. She was smarter than that. 

Sure enough, she took one glance at my extended arm and shook her head. "No." 

I straightened up, calling that feared gleam to my eye and praying it held. "Enjoy the Rite, then. Try to stay out of trouble." And then I turned away from her, forced myself to start walking. 

"So you're not part of the Spring Court?" My veins short-circuited at her voice. I couldn't stop myself from turning back to her. She looked as if she regretted opening her mouth, but she didn't back down when I moved to stand in front of her again. 

I had to admire her bravery. "Do I look like I'm part of the Spring Court?" I gestured to my uncovered face. Too long. I'd lingered here too long. It was foolish to hope she knew me as I knew her. And yet, in her, there seemed to be that same inability to let me go that I felt for her.

Her lips pressed together, and her next question was hesitant, as if she knew it was trouble. "Why are you here, then?" 

You've seen her. Leave now before you condemn her. I leaned closer to her, bringing some of my dark power to the surface. She backed another step toward the fire when she saw the deathly glow of my magic. "Because all the monsters have been let out of their cages tonight, no matter what court they belong to. So I may roam wherever I wish until the dawn."

Her brow knotted together, and an almost annoyed look passed over her features. Clearly, she'd had enough of me. 

"Enjoy the Rite," She said in a monotone voice. Then she was gone, her cloak snapping at her heels as she turned away from me and vanished back into the crowd. 

I watched the spot she'd vanished for a moment. Then I turned to go find those three picts who'd been manhandling her. It would seem both of my missions tonight were to be a success. 

Calanmai art by atouchofmagicdesigns and kate.k.art!!