Chapter 2

It has been about three months and my volleyball season had just ended. This year volleyball wasn't the same becasue Joe would always go to the games to cheer me on, but this year he went to none. I was devastated and his basketball season just started. I was conflicted on whether I should go to his game as I always had or just stay home and take the hint that he really didn't want me there. I decided to stay home for their first game and apparently Joe had a really off night. I figured it was because of the first game and didn't think much of it and continued not going to the games. After about four games Joe still had not improved and was barely scoring any points each game. He was usually the star of the team but this year it was a whole different story and no one knew why. I went to one of their home games becasue all my friends were going and I figured why not. Weirdly, this game Joe scored thirty-five points and did absolutely amazing. I was so happy for him because he was out of his slump and I really hoped he stayed out of it. Even though he treated me so poorly I still really liked him and cared about him. All my friends and I went up to congratulate the team and Joe passed by me and whispered "I really wish you weren't here please don't come again." I ran to the bathroom and cried. I didn't know what I did to him and I just wanted to go back to how it used to be, but I knew it would never be the same again. 

        It has been about two weeks since the basketball incident and I asked all of my teachers if I could switch seats in any class where I sat next to Joe. In a way it seemed like Joe was hurt by the situation, but I knew he wasn't becasue it's obvious this was what he wanted. I talked to Brandon again and he told me the same thing he told me last time and that was "I have no idea." That wasn't much help, but Brandon told me he would try to find out why and I was very thankful. 

        Later that week Brandon texted me and said "I know why Joe has been acting differently!" I was hesitant to reply because I didn't want the reason to be someting really bad, but I sucked it up and texted back "Why?!" he responded and said "You know that bitch Lily?" I responded "Yeah obviously she tries to ruin peoples lives for her own pleasure. She is awful!" He said "Well she told Joe a bunch of bad stuff about you and he believed it." I asked "Well did you tell him it wasn't true?" He said "Well obviosuly" I responded "WELL WHAT DID HE SAY???" He replied "Well at first he didn't believe me but then I used my powers of persuation and he believed me. He felt really bad and said he didn't know what to do now." I thought this would fix everything and our friendship would go back to normal and he would start liking me again. I was so happy and excited for the weekend to be over and go back to school and see Joe and have everything that happened be a distant memory.

        On Monday morning I woke up early to curl my hair and make myself look all pretty. I got into school and saw Joe at his locker and said "Hey sleepy head how was your weekend?" He didn't respond. I had no idea what happened becasue I thought Brandon fixed everything. It was pretty obvious he didn't but as I walked away I saw a little tear fall off of Joe's cheek almost as if ignoring me hurt him. At this point I knew something was really wrong and someone was doing something bad to him or threatening him in some way. I texted him and asked him if that was the case and he said "That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Did you ever think the reason I'm not talking to you is because I don't like talking to you? Please just stop talking and texting me because this is the last response you will get." He was  serious and I sent him thirty messages that week figuring he would respond to one, but he responded to none of them. It wasn't going to get better and the boys champiionship basketball game was coming up and I wanted to go. Maybe if I talked to him he would want me to go, but I really doubted it.