Peace of our time

Taking a deep breath, I rolled the joint between my fingers, not really sure what I was doing

Taking a deep breath, I rolled the joint between my fingers, not really sure what I was doing. I sighed deeply, letting it tumble from my hand soundlessly into the small drawer next to my bed before shoving it shut, standing up as the wood thudded. I ran my hands through my hair, tugging at the strands as I let out a frustrated noise.

The stress, the nightmares, everything - it was becoming unbearable. Every time I let my eyes slip shut, The General's face clouded my mind, haunting the edges until I had no choice but to see it, see him.

My head snapped up at the sound of a soft knock against my door, my eyes drifting from the closed drawer and back to the door.

"Doll, can I come in?" It was Bucky, my shoulders tensing even more. He couldn't find out. Hesitantly, I called out for him to come back in. The handle turned slowly, tauntingly, the rough wood creaking open as the super soldier pushed his way in. "Hey." He smiled, striding over to me, hooking an arm around my shoulders and placing a chaste kiss to my temple.

"Hi. What's up?" I pondered, wrapping my arms around his waist and resting my head against Bucky's chest. He smiled into my hair, dropping another kiss there.

"Were going on a mission. Nat wanted to know if you were going." Bucky asked, cheek settles against the top of my head.

"Seeing as we don't even know of my powers still work, I'd say no. But you should feel free to go, I'd hate to stop you doing something you enjoyed." I smiled, turning my head to look up at him. Bucky smiled too, a sweet thing that tickled his eyes.

"I'm staying right here, doll. I think a mission might be too much for me to handle right now. Not to mention it's a HYDRA base they're taking down, memories are still to fresh." He smiled down at me, meeting my lips for a sweet kiss.

...
"There were more enhanced. Maria found them, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. We didn't see them coming." Steve rambled, letting his first connect with the door, the wood spluttering under his strength. "Shit." He mumbled, shaking his fist off and dropping his head forward.

Bucky stood up from where he sat on the bed, wrapping his arms around steve and resting his head against the Blonde's back. Steve tried shrugging him off, but the soldier wouldn't budge.

"Stevie, calm down. It's not your fault. You'd fill got what you needed." Bucky cooed, pressing a gentle kiss to Steve's neck.

"But what if it's not enough...what if the twins come back? I mean we didn't kill them, they're still out there." Steve muttered, but y/n could see from where she sat on the bed the way he relaxed into Bucky's embrace, shoulders slumping and jaw unclenching.

"We should get ready." Y/n mentioned, jumping up as the boys parted, all heading off to get ready for the party her dad was throwing in celebration.

...
Laughter chorused, glasses clinked against surfaces and mindless chatter created a soft hum that laid an undertone throughout the party. Upon arriving, I had clung to Bucky - who had equally clung to me - whilst Steve wandered off to mingle. If anything, it has benefitted me, as I got to find out why Bucky was such a ladies man in the 40s - and let me tell you, I never would've guessed that the Winter fucking Soldier, the man who taught me to throw a knife and never miss, who taught me how to dislocate someone in over 50 different ways, was one of the best dancers I'd ever meet.