See No Evil

It was 10 minutes to midnight. The moon hung high in the dark indigo sky, illuminating the room. The atmostphere was warm and muggy, and the only sound audible was that of a car driving by or an occasional siren. My t.v. was on, though the sound completely off. I watched the lips of Leonardo DiCaprio on the screen, leaning back in my armchair comfortably. Taking a long, final glance at the dreamy guy on the screen, I change the channel, settling on a Lifetime Movie. With a long sigh, I begin to relax, eyelids closing then re-opening every few seconds.

I turn my gaze to the window, leaning up against it to feel the warm breeze brush up against my cheek. Never had 45th street looked so peaceful. A crack at my door forces me to turn around, suddenly alert.

"What do you want?" I ask, watching as Ember walked into the room, eyes hard and smile wide. It was no question at all that we were twins, basically every feature on us was precise, but if you would notice how opposite we really were. Ember and I were the same height, more or less, both skinny, with brown hair and light blue eyes. Her hair was just above her shoulders while mine hung far down my shoulders.

"Nothing," her devious grin was not the most promising. She gets comfortable, combing her short, chocolate brown hair with her fingers, her eyes fixed on me.

"Well I'm going to bed." I announce, her gaze making me uncomfortable. I turn off the t.v, and watch the room grow darker, Ember only a light blue from the moon beam. She rises up, expression the same, hard and cold.

"Fine." She gives me another long stare before exiting, closing the door loudly behind her. I head straight for the door, making sure to lock it. I breathe in a sigh of relief, happy to be rid of her, though her face still fresh in my mind. I shiver, heading for my bed and cuddle under the covers. I watch the spot on my bed where she had sat, then let my eyes wander up to the ceiling, watching it start to get brighter as cars' lights flashed upon it.

I let my eyes close, feeling my tiredness begin to takeover and let my body relax as I fall asleep.

- - - - - - -

"So, I have a question," Ember announces at the breakfast table. Mom and Dad had already gone to work, so I was left alone with Ember.

"What?" I ask, already wishing I hadn't. Ember smiles her devious smile, stirring her oatmeal with her spoon.

"How is Kale doing? I haven't seen him around here lately."

I shrug my shoulders at her. I honestly had pondered about that lately. Kale was my boyfriend. We had only been dating about a month, but I really liked him. And that was saying a lot, considering I barely dated.

"You should probably talk to him about that. Maybe he's having second thoughts about--"

"Would you just shut up?" I snapped at her. "For once why don't you just stay out of my personal life?"

Ember looked grim. She had let her spoon drop, and it fell on the table, leaving a smudge of oatmeal on the wood. Her eyes were sharp, piercing into mine.

"You know what Taryn? I do my best to be a good sister. I try to give you advice, and support you but you always make me out to be the bad guy. I'm hurt." Her hand touches her chest dramatically, where her heart was.

I roll my eyes, rising up from my chair and leaning forward, eyes almost as hard as Ember's.

"Advice? Support?" I scoff, laughing darkly. "You are the last person I would ever want advice from. And you know what? You were never a good sister to me. You'd lie to get me into trouble. Flirt with every guy I liked. Almost got me arrested. You're like the devil's spawn."

Ember laughs, my ears cringe at her laughter. Her eyes squint slightly, going from a light blue to a dark green. She didn't even look human.

"Fair enough. But you think it's bad now?" She scoffs. "You haven't seen nothing yet."

The hairs on my arm stand up, but I manage to keep a straight face. I turn my heel away, heading upstairs to my bedroom.

'You haven't seen nothing yet.'

I knew one thing was definite, I'd be sleeping with one eye open tonight.