Chapter 39: Brothers

Start from the beginning

He was no wolf, but a dragon who only knew how to hoard its treasures.

He could possess but never protect.

Neo never thought there would be a day he needed to steal from his own hoard, nor did he think he would have to fight himself for his younger brother.

(This wasn't the first time he needed to tear himself apart for the ones he cherished.)

Nazareth.

Neo.

Nazareth—

Neo.

Naza—

Neo.

Neo knew it was time to talk.

Even if it meant those memories were a reminder of the life he once lived, they needed to walk down memory lane. After all, his little brother deserved to know.

"Aurelion..."

Beside him, Aurelion stifled another sob.

It was time Neo paid his dues.

Because...

"Come here."

He loved his little brother so very much.

Even when he couldn't.

---

Neo pulled the blanket over his head and guided Aurelion under.

He slowly drew his brother into a hug and felt the other freeze at his touch.

Aurelion didn't move as Neo awkwardly stroked his head, an action reminiscent of those who once comforted him in a similar fashion.

Now he was applying what he learned to Aurelion because he was supposed to be the responsible adult.

It was his responsibility to do the one thing he failed to do long ago.

Communicate.

"Will you believe me if I tell you the truth?"

The words were said in a low voice, whispered gently as if coaxing a child.

Aurelion was never a vulnerable child.

He didn't look like a vulnerable child.

He was always, in a way, the mature one.

The saner one.

The one who didn't go around killing people and screwing up lives for no reason.

He was the epitome of a perfect heir. The perfect Odum. The child of Vespera and Gareth.

Even back then, in their first life, the boy was strong. He was treated with the utmost respect, not only due to his position but for his sense of duty and responsibility.

It would have been his job to reign in his useless older brother who caused nothing but trouble. If Nazareth lived long enough and had more time to make even more mistakes, then it was his brother who'd be blamed for his actions.

Those small shoulders were burdened with the legacy of the family the moment he was born. It was only natural for him to get used to the weight of the Odum name.

Everyone had expectations. They all imagined him to be great, to be powerful. There was no room for mistakes.

True to expectations, Aurelion was like the northern tundras, similar to the rest of his family.