Chapter 1

Rat speech, human speech

Here we go, chapter 1! Hope you guys enjoy!

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

   A loud ship horn sounded in the air, two small castaways on a small piece of board they were using as a raft on the vast open ocean, watching as the ship passed by. Monstrous humans reached out, making grabby motions as they drifted out farther from them.

A boy in a blue jacket and jeans glared to the other next to him, blue eyes eyes narrowed under dark brown hair. A silver shackle on his right ankle gave a small shine in the morning sunlight.

"You just had to run across the table, didn't you?" He growled. The girl next to him looked at him, big, warm, milk chocolate colored eyes barely visible near the end of her raven black hair. Her raincoat was slightly bloodstained, a few holes from teeth marks, white shorts coming to her knees.

"Squeak?"

"Whatever. There goes our chance of getting to the city ports, now we're gonna have to take the long way around..." the boy groaned, resting his chin in his hand, glaring at the seawater below him.

The girl looked confused, before smiling, butting her head against his, giving a small nuzzle.

"Frien!"

"Squeaks, stop, you're giving me fleas!"

  Six gave a small chuckle as she saw the other, who she just called Blueberry, begin to scratch where she pressed her head against his.

Blueberry was always so loud and snappy, but she knew he had a good heart... somewhere. He was smart -- yes, pretty impulsive on The Maw, and may or may not have tried to leave her and one time attempted murder; but everyone has a friend like that sometime in their life.

"Hey, Blueberry, where are we going now? The big ship is going away," she said. Blueberry let out a groan, falling onto his back, placing an arm over his eyes, soft curses under his breath.

"Please don't let this be a long trip..."

~~~

  It took three hours of Seven paddling and Squeaks doing nothing but nearly tipping the plank over for them to get to the sandy shore of a small beach.

Seven's legs burned and he felt like splinters had set up shop in his fingers and palms. As they came to the water's edge, the boy in blue let out a loud cry of tiredness. "UGGGHHH, finally!" he shouted.

Squeaks jumped off, splashing water as she let out happy cheers, starting to play in the clear water under her. Seven got to his feet, nearly falling over as his legs momentarily locked up as soreness ran through them.

He casted a glance to Squeaks, the feral child that was raised by rats playing and rolling over in the water, squeaking loudly as she splashed around. Occasionally, she'd shaking off and getting more water on him then there already was.

"Damn it, Squeaks, stop making so much noise before you wake up the whole..." he looked up, groaning loudly as he saw the multitude of trees, "... forest. Great."

Massive trees, boulders that boarded the sand and the ledge where the dirt jotted out. An eerie silence surrounded them, a light fog shifting far back in it.

This was not his ideal drop off spot, he had hoped it was somewhere else, somewhere that didn't hold bad memories or immediate dangers like the thousands of peering eyes he knew it held, possibly looking at them right now.