Chapter 12: Practice Makes Perfect

Start from the beginning

     "I didn't know what I was doing, I was scared, I wanted to know what happened to my mum and dad, but they wouldn't answer. I got so angry and out of control that one of my Peculiarities was set off and I eventually burned myself and the other workers with my tears."

     "What do you mean? What happened to your parents? And how did you burn yourself with your tears?"

"I have a Peculiarity called 'Toxic Tears'. If I cry and my Peculiarity is accidentally set off, then everyone and everything my tears touch will melt and then burst into flames. The last time that happened was when I was ten. My whole body was engulfed in flames. I had to get plastic surgery to make me look normal, but some parts of me they couldn't salvage,"

     "So now?" Kai urged me to continue.

     "So now I'm still left with scars here and there, particularly on my right side," I continued regretfully.

     With that, I lifted part of my shirt to show the proof. Kai had a horrified look on his face as he realized the severity of the situation. He stuttered, not wanting to say anything that might offend me or set any of my Peculiarities off. He finally asked if he could touch the scars, to which I permitted him. Slowly, he reached out to trace his fingers on my tender scars.
     My side twitched, making Kai jump a little before continuing once more. He pulled his hand back when he was finished and stared at me sorrowfully. I almost felt bad for him. I felt bad for letting him see what happened to me because now he wouldn't look at me the same way again. I took a deep breath and stood up.

     "Don't go feeling pitiful towards me just because I showed you some scars. I'm still perfectly capable of doing day-to-day things and I'm still capable of being your instructor."

     "But-,"

     "But nothing. That's final. I don't need to be seen in a different light than when you figured out that I'm a Peculiar like you,"

     "I-...okay," Kai sighed.

"Thank you. We continue training tomorrow. Be here tomorrow morning at five o'clock."

"Five o'clock?!" Kai shrilled.

"Yes, remember, we still have school," I facepalmed.

"Ugh, fine," Kai said as he gave in.

Without another word, we went upstairs to shower and change for supper. I entered one of the bathrooms, closing and locking the door. I sighed, sliding down onto the floor with my back glued to the door. Looking up, I saw that my bag filled with my clothes were already on the countertop next to the sink. After picking out an outfit, I started to take off my shirt.
I moved the bag out of the way so that I could stare at my scars. My horrid, unbearable looking scars. I tugged at my skin, wishing I could tear it all off and have a smooth body once more. Taking off the rest of my clothes and my mask, I hopped into the shower and washed up, being careful to not be too rough on my scars. Almost immediately after I got out of the shower, I heard Kai knock at my door, reminding me that dinner was ready.

"All right, I'll be right down!" I called out.

Hearing Kai's footsteps retreat, I let out a sigh I didn't even know I was holding in. I got dressed quickly, put my bag in the guest room, and practically leaped down the stairs. I knew as soon as I approached the stairwell that there was somebody else other than Kai and me in the house. I listened for any sound, only hearing Kai and two other voices chatting casually. I kept quiet, silently retrieving my mask from upstairs.
I slipped on my mask, preparing to bound down the evenly spaced out marble slabs that served as stairs. The stairs were placed where even if you were on the top flight of stairs, you would be able to see the living room. I sat quietly on one of the steps, trying to get a better look at who else was here without being seen. Eventually, I gripped the glass handrail and heaved myself up from where I sat. I could only hear the soft pitter-patter of my light footsteps and the casual chattering once I retreated from my spot.
     I honestly didn't know what to expect, but I didn't expect Kai's parent's to be home so early from their trips.