Footwear to the Face

*bursts into room dramatically* I HAVE RETURNED!

Okay, I have a lot to say. First of all, HAPPY LATE NEW YEARS! I can't believe 2020 is finally over, and I'm so glad to be back! To be honest, I'm not sure if I could've gotten through last year if I never started this book. Which brings me to my second point- it's been 4 WHOLE MONTHS since I last updated and I am absolutely ashamed of myself. When I first started this, I published a new chapter every day, and although it was obvious to me that I couldn't do that once school started, I never meant to leave you guys hanging for this long...

However, when I came back, I did discover something- specifically, 37,000 reads! How in the world did this book gain 17,000 without a single new update?!? I'm blown away but also so grateful- the success of this book is all thanks to you guys! Which reminds me- I cannot thank you all enough for being so patient with me- I literally haven't updated this since November of 2020, and you still come back and read it? ILY 🥰

Anyways, this chapter is longer than usual- after all, you guys deserve it for waiting this much. But it is also an intro chapter, so it may be a little slow paced, since it will lead up to the next few parts with more actual action in them- the setting is also inspired by a request I received a while ago from one of you, so as we get further into this arc, maybe try and guess what request that was...

Thank you for sticking with me, and I hope you enjoy!

"I can't believe this!" Complained Anemone. "How long can it possibly take to drive a stupid bus over here?" She said, shivering in her thin purple coat. Turtle figured she hadn't packed anything but crop tops and summer clothes for the trip- Again. He rolled his eyes, but couldn't ignore the fact that he was also shivering- neither of them were cold weather people, though they would have to endure this temperature for a while longer because Anemone had insisted they show up early.

 Who needs an alarm clock when you have a little sister?

The two of them had been waiting in the school parking lot since 5 AM for a charter bus to pick them up- Every year at the end of May, the students of Pyrrhia high school would go on overnight field trips to different places. This time, the freshmen and sophomores would be at Jade Mountain, a popular hiking spot a few hours south of Pyrrhia. Usually Turtle would have avoided a trip like this at all costs- The forest? For 3 whole days? It was just like the vacation he and his friends took at the beginning of the year, except this time he was sure to get eaten. As a matter of fact, he'd almost decided to skip it- but all of his friends were going, as well as Kinkajou... Honestly, she was the biggest reason he'd agreed to this trip. The forest was still one of his worst fears, and if he couldn't find the courage in him to spend even 3 days there, he was even wimpier than he'd always imagined. Maybe by showing her he could be brave, Turtle would come to think higher of himself too. 

Or maybe I'll get devoured by a bear on the first day... He thought glumly.

But just as Turtle's brain was about to spiral into self doubt once again, he heard someone call his name. He whirled around to see who it was, but the large crowd of other students who had gathered to wait for the bus as well made it impossible to tell who had called him. That is, until a bright orange croc shoe came flying through the air and almost hit him in the face.

Turtle yelped, leaping back as the shoe landed at his feet and someone came running frantically towards him. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry," apologized Peril, picking her croc back up and putting it on. "I was just trying to get your attention!" Turtle shook his head, still a little shocked by the recent occurrence. "By throwing footwear at my face!? I'm worried about your judgement..." He said uneasily.

Anemone barked a laugh from next to him- Turtle had nearly forgotten she was there during all the croc-throwing pandemonium. "I'm more worried about that." She said, indicating to Peril's feet. "Socks with sandals? Do us all a favor and leave those back in 2010." Then she spun on her heels and walked away, probably to find her little friend group which was most definitely here, as they followed her everywhere. "Your sister is very...puzzling." Remarked Peril, not looking in the least bit offended. Turtle sometimes wished he was as blissfully unaware as her- at least she seemed not to be insulted by petty comments and rude stares. 

Just then, a sleek silver bus pulled up in front of the school- it looked absolutely nothing like that rusty yellow abomination of a school bus that he had been forced to ride a few months prior. Turtle breathed a sigh of relief- there would be no more waiting outside in the cold; finally, a warm place to stay! He began running as fast as he could towards the shuttle- but suddenly, someone bolted right by him to stand in front of the vehicle. It was a boy with dark hair and a pair of boxy glasses perched on his nose- Turtle recognized him almost immediately- this was one of Tsunami's friends, Starflight. Turtle had never really talked to him before, but being close friends with Tsunami since elementary school, he hung out at the Writeman's house quite often.

"What do you think you're doing?" Asked Starflight, pointing a finger at him in accusation. The older boy was clearly trying to use a demanding tone, but his voice was wavering awkwardly, like he didn't know what to say next. That's a familiar feeling, thought Turtle. "I am your class's senior chaperone, so under my authority, you must get back in line!" Continued Starflight ineptly, gesturing towards a laminated tag on his polo shirt that read: 'Grade 12 volunteer chaperone: school-sponsored field trip' 

Oh, that's right, recalled Turtle. Each homeroom class must have a senior chaperone with them on the trip, since there aren't usually many parents who want to come. Starflight must have been assigned to our class. He winced- Ms. Kestrel's homeroom was basically anarchy- between organizing parent traps, causing havoc over chia pets, and throwing crocs at each other, it was pretty much safe to say they were the furthest thing from easy to supervise. Of course, that didn't mean he disliked his clownish classmates- when they weren't doing something crazy or scaring him half to death, being in such a crazy homeroom class was pretty fun.

Unfortunately, that didn't mean it would be fun for Starflight, who had to basically babysit them for 3 whole days. 

________________________________________________________________________________

But perhaps it wouldn't be that bad- not for Starflight, or for him. The only thing Turtle could do was wait and see how this trip would turn out...

YAYAYAYAY I FINALLY FINISHED!!! I'm so happy I was able to get this done, even if it was really boring- but don't worry, the upcoming chapters will be A LOT more eventful and funny! (I'll try to update much faster in the future as well.) 

Anyways, here's a meme about Peril's weird croc shoe obsession to reward you all for being so patient:

Stay tuned for the next chapter and don't forget to vote! :D