ball dates.

I arrived back in the dorm, Cathy was already awake. She was sat at the desk, studying quietly. I closed the door behind me as I entered and sneaked over to her. She already had her school clothes on and was staring down at the piece of paper, trying to figure what to write.

She turned around and jumped when she saw me, when she realised it was just me she signed loudly and the first thing she looked at were my clothes, then she sniffed me strangely.

"You smell like...Riddle. Are you wearing his clothes...wait. Have you been doing something with him?" She inquired as I sat down beside her, kind of implying that she thought we were doing something sexual. She glared at me as if she was disappointed and I leaned back in my chair trying to find a way to word it.

"He...uhm. He brought me some clothes, it was very cold down there, nothing happened though. We just spoke." I tried to be as honest as possible but I left out a lot of details.

"He's manipulating you, whatever you do don't trust him. He wants you to trust him so he can hurt you even more." She informed, maintaining an odd expression. She looked over my clothes once again then back at her work. I kind of agreed with her, but maybe this is real, maybe he's becoming...nice.

"Have you thought of taking anyone to the ball?" I queried, walking over to the cupboard to collect my robes. I opened the drawer then looked back at Cathy who seemed nervous and scratched her head hesitantly.

"I- I don't know, Thea. There's this boy I like..."

"Ron?" I interrupted. She shook her head and dropped her pen, which made a huge blot of ink, ruing the work she was writing. She cursed quietly then began to speak again.

"...not Ron, Ron was just a...cover up, I suppose, for the boy I truly love. I want to keep it a secret for now because I know he doesn't love me back. Unrequited love. He will never love me the way I love him. I don't know what to do." A tear spilled out of her eye, she held her cheek in her hand and looked down out of sadness. I ran over to her and wrapped my arms around her, she nested her head in the crook of my neck and tears kept leaking out.

"Who could not love you, Catherine? You're the sweetest, most intelligent...the best girl I've ever met. This boy you're talking about must be out of his mind for not loving you." She held my waist softly, sniffles and crying sounds filling the room.

"We've been best friends ever since first year at Hogwarts, we met in a compartment and had an instant connection. We tell eachother our secrets. My, I remember that one day, I hurt my leg when falling down some stairs and he comforted me the whole night at the infirmary. God do I love him." She sniveled. I began to suspect who it is, Timothy or Blaise. It has to be one of them, it has to be.

"I will be able to help you much more if you tell me who this boy is." I stated, and she looked up at me, her blue eyes painted with tears, stuttering a little bit.

"T- Timothy." She trembled. I knew it.

"Why would you think he doesn't love you, you two always seem to be together." I comforted, but she pulled away from my touch.

"He...h- he likes you, Clover." She said, a hint of jealousy in her voice.

"What? No..no, we're friends." I admitted, shocked at her words.

"He's planning on asking you to the ball. This morning...today." My mouth fell open in shock.

"As friends, right?" I began to feel a bit nervous and bit my lip.

"I don't know, he didn't state anything like that."

"Why don't we all go together, hmm? Me, you and Timothy. Blaise is going with some girl in Ravenclaw, I heard. As friends, obviously." I reasoned, a small smile lit up on Cathy's face, "I'll make sure to give you some alone time." I whispered quietly and she rolled her eyes.