Quarantine (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

The smile dropped from her face and she looked at her arms. If you looked up close, you could see the purple bruises under the black casts. ''My powers, I thought I was controlling them but I was just directing them inwards. They shattered my bones.''

''What?'' you gasped anxiously, looking back up at her face. What happened while you were asleep? ''How long was I asleep for?''

''Almost twenty-four hours,'' she admitted, making your mouth drop open. ''At first we thought it was because of the sedative Fitz gave you, but your body burned through that within minutes. You were so exhausted you slept that long.''

You felt guilty for sleeping that long and not being able to help her. ''You needed me, why didn't you wake me up?''

''I'm fine.'' Skye waved away your worries, but she didn't look at you. ''You looked like you could use the sleep.''

You shook your head and grabbed her hands. Because of the casts you could only feel the tips of her fingers, but that was enough for now. ''You're not fine,'' you said softly. ''You don't have to act like you are. Not to me, not to Coulson, not to May. I'm not fine. But we're here together and I'll drag you through this if I have to.''

Her eyes started to water, which you didn't want. The last thing you wanted was to make her cry. 

''How are you not freaking out right now?'' she chuckled, but it was a sad sound. At least she was looking at you again. 

''I am freaking out, but it doesn't help with anything if I scream and yell and cry. It's happened, we can't go back, we can only learn to live with it.''

The door of the room suddenly opened, but you didn't drop her hands. In walked Coulson, that kind smile he always wore on his face. ''Sorry to barge in and interrupt this,'' he apologized, glancing down at your hands before looking at you. ''Y/N, good to see you're up.'' 

''I thought it was about time,'' you joked, which earned you an even wider smile. He was here with a purpose however, not for random talk.

He stepped forward, sighing before saying, ''You and I need to take a ride.''

Skye glanced at you for a moment. ''Okay. But why am I suddenly feeling like old yeller right now?''

Coulson furrowed his eyebrows. ''Kind of surprised you know the reference.''

Skye shrugged as she gently pulled her hands out of yours, uncrossed her legs and swung them off the side of the bed. ''I've had a lot of downtime lately. That and Fitz really wants a dog.''

You chuckled. ''Thought he wanted a monkey.''

She turned to look at you, her long hair swung over her shoulder. ''Guess he readjusted his expectations.'' Coulson watched the interaction, happy you had each other in this. Skye eyed him, narrowing her eyes slightly. ''You can't tell me where we're going, can you?''

''You're gonna want to pack a bag.''

Her smile dropped and so did yours. She sighed deeply and nodded. He left you alone to pack, which meant you had to walk back into the base to get your stuff. Somehow, it felt like a walk of shame, which was completely wrong. None of what happened was your fault. You didn't want this but you did feel guilty.

The stares of your friends and team mates were intense and you saw Skye cringe and her confidence shatter. Halfway through the long hallway your bedroom was located on, you grabbed her hand and squeezed it slightly. If only to make her feel less alone. 

There wasn't much to say to each other. You knew you were going away from SHIELD for a little while, and when you walked over the uneven floor next to the lab, you understood all too well why. In fact, you were happy to get away. You needed it and Skye needed it.