Sophie closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She was officially numb. So numb that she couldn't get any more numb.

She didn't remember Agent Wraith announce that a grand funeral would be held for Kenric.

Much less remember when Agent Forkle had called off the meeting.

She barely even felt Keefe's warm arm around her waist as he helped her to her room.

Kenric was dead.

She'd never see him grin at her again.

Never laugh over his antics to cheer Cecile up.

Sophie blinked, shaken out of her thoughts to suddenly realise that she was in her room.

"You okay, Foster?" Keefe asked worriedly.

He was kneeling on the ground in front of her bed, looking up at her with concern.

How had he gotten there?

Better question, how had she gotten in her room?

"I- " Sophie couldn't think to say anything. She WAS numb after all.

But then Keefe reached up and used his thumb to brush a tear of her cheek. She hadn't even realised that it was there.

The gesture was simple. Small contact. But it made Sophie's heart crack.

She choked as reality came flooding back to her.

She buried her head in her hands, silent sobs racking her body.

Sophie didn't know why she was being like this.

Being a spy meant you and everyone you cared about would constantly be in mortal danger.

Anyone could die at any minute.

It was even an amazement that she'd lived for so long, being the top frontline agent.

Keefe hesitated slightly before sitting on the bed next to her and wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

Sophie buried her head in his shoulder.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

"N- Not your f- fault."

"It has to be! I know my mom has something to do with this! She's this only one who would do something so vicious."

Sophie's sobs slowly decreased. "Y- You're not your mom," she whispered back. "Remember that."

"... I will."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Keefe

The minute Sophie's face turned ashen white, Keefe knew something horrible had happened.

She usually wasn't a person to get so shaken easily.

"What?" She whispered.

"It's the truth," Agent Squall forced out, wiping her eyes.

Sophie's knees collapsed. Keefe caught her by the waist.

Thank goodness.

Whether consciously or not, she leaned onto him. As if he was the only thing keeping her alive.

"Easy, Foster," he mumbled.

Sophie blinked. "How?" It was barely a whisper.

Agent Granite took a deep breath. "His apartment exploded when he was inside," he rasped. "We investigated and found out that it was a chemical reaction. Clearly a murder, but the police ruled it a gas leak."