chapter twenty-seven

"Eli." Hawk looked away from the girl and over to the door, seeing her grandmother smiling sadly at him. "Come, I need to talk to you." Hawk slowly let go of the girl's hand, afraid that she would slip through his fingers if he didn't hold on tight. 

"What's happening? Why doesn't she remember me?" 

"Iris has Post-traumatic retrograde amnesia." Hawk shook his head, not wanting to believe what the woman was telling him. "She doesn't remember anything that happened after the accident." 

"Is it permanent?"

"They don't know." Mrs. Montague spread her lips into a thin line, unsure of what to tell the boy. "They're going to be working with her to see if they can get her memories back. I think you could help." 

"How could I help?" Mrs. Montague laughed at the boy, thinking that he was joking. Her smile dropped once she saw Hawk staring at her. 

"Oh, Eli. You don't know who you are to her, do you?" Hawk looked down the hallway to where Iris' door was slightly open. "She loves you, so much." 

"I love her too. More than anything." Hawk looked back at the old woman, his lips curving into a sad smile. "I should probably get home." Mrs. Montague nodded, rubbing his shoulder as he turned to walk away. 

"Oh, wait." The boy turned around, hearing the woman yell from across the room. "Does Iris have a stuffed animal, one that's special to her?"

"Yeah, uh, I won her an elephant at the arcade a few months ago." Hawk's face brightened at the older woman's question, his smile quickly dropping as the woman deflated. 

"Oh, nevermind." 

"Wait, why?" It was Hawk's turn to stop the woman, calling out to her as she turned to walk away. 

"She keeps asking about a hawk? I thought maybe it was a stuffed animal." Hawk's heart felt heavy as the woman smiled at him before walking away. The woman leaving him to his thoughts. 

"Did you find my hawk?" Iris looked over to the older woman who returned to her room, the young boy now nowhere to be seen. 

"No, sweetie. I'm sorry." Iris nodded, looking down at her hands. "Do you know what it is?"

"No. No, I-I can't remember." Iris bit her lip trying to keep the tears from rolling down her cheeks. The girl sniffled, her voice cracking as she looked up at the unfamiliar woman. "I just know I lost it, and I really want it back." 

***

"Good morning, my name is Dr. Ruth and I just want to ask you a few questions. Is that okay?" A woman with dark hair and a clipboard entered Iris' room early the next morning. She made herself comfortable on a chair next to the girl's bed. 

"Uh, yeah." Iris looked around the room, noticing the old woman wasn't there. 

"Alright, let's start off simple." Dr. Ruth looked down at her clipboard before looking up to the girl. "What's your full name?" 

"Um, Iris Cordelia Montague."  Iris looked over to the door to her room, expecting someone to walk in, though she wasn't quite sure who.

"When's your birthday, Iris?"  

"Um, May 20th, 2002." Iris looked over at the door again.