chapter sixteen

"Over The Top is a tale in which a truck driver with a lucrative sideline in arm-wrestling takes his estranged 12-year-old son on the road after the boy's mother falls seriously ill." Iris read the movie summary from her phone as she, Miguel and Hawk walked out of Cobra Kai. "The trucker is beginning to reach out to the boy as the pair head for Vegas and the arm wrestling world championships, but the lad's wealthy, unfeeling grandfather sends his thugs to put a stop the the bonding and bring the boy back."

"That sounds badass." Iris looked up at Hawk with a smile on her face.

"It sounds so stupid." Miguel and Iris laughed as Hawk pushed the two softly. They waited for Aisha outside of the dojo before all climbing into her car and driving to Hawk's house.

The group got comfy on Hawk's couch, Iris leaning into the boy's side. He softly played with the girl's hair as the 1987 movie began. Iris had a small bowl of popcorn in her lap, thanks to Hawk's mom and she was picking up a piece every now and then. She would pick one up and eat it, and then pick up a second and hold it up for Hawk which he gladly accepted.

"Oh my gosh, his last name is Hawk." Iris pointed to the screen as the main character, Lincoln Hawk began to talk. The group laughed quietly before they all focused back in on the movie.

By the time it was over Iris and Aisha were crying, happy that Michael got to stay with his dad after all. Miguel and Hawk had tears in their eyes but they refused to let the two girls see them cry.

"Oh my god that was so cute." Aisha looked up at Iris from her spot on the floor, wiping the remaining tears off her cheeks.

"So, what should we watch next?" Hawk leaned forward and set the empty popcorn bowl onto the coffee table, looking towards his friends.

"10 Things I Hate About You." Iris grabbed the remote before either boy could object and quickly searched the movie in the Netflix search bar. The girl clicked on the movie and leaned back into Hawk's arms as the movie began. The four friends watched Stepbrothers, Goodfellas and finished the night by putting on The Office.

Mrs. Moskowitz had woken up and went to her kitchen to get a glass of water when she spotted the four. She quietly walked into the living room where all four teens slept. She draped a blanket over Aisha who was asleep on the floor, another one over Miguel who was sprawled out in a chair, and then finally one over Iris and Hawk who were cuddled on the couch. The four fast asleep as Dwight yelled through the speakers.

"Identity theft is not a joke Jim!"

***

Iris stood in between Bert and Hawk as they stared at the two new students. Iris was trying to hide the small smile that was on her face as the group attempting to come up with names for the two.

"What do you think? Shithead One and Shithead Two?" Iris scoffed, rolling her eyes at her boyfriend's lame attempt at nicknames.

"Those are so uncreative." Hawk held back a smile as he pushed the girl lightly.

"I was thinking more, Mary-Kate and Asshat." The group chuckled at Aisha's contribution, Iris liking Asshat more and more.

"Asshat, well that's more creative." Iris once again was pushed to the side by her boyfriend as she made another jab at his nicknames.

"Well, I'm Chris-"

"Did I say you could speak?" Hawk's voice made the boy stumble back with a scared look on his face. Iris rolled her eyes at her boyfriend as Miguel walked up behind the two new boys.