chapter three

TW: This chapter talks about rape and sexual abuse. If you are not comfortable with these topics I advise you to read with caution.

"Cyberbullying is no laughing matter. Sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face." Iris sat with her three friends as they listened to the counselor talk about cyberbullying. Iris reached over and grabbed Eli's hand, trying to offer him any sort of comfort. "I'm not going to name names, but the other day a mother called me up because her son was crying after some kids online made fun of his facial deformity." Iris groaned, leaning her head into her hand as the dumb counselor made it clear who she was speaking about. Eli lifted his hand and tried to cover up his lip as the counselor began to talk. "But today, our goal here is to make this school a safe space for all students."

"You know, if you're sick of getting bullied my karate dojo's looking for recruits." Eli sent Miguel a thankful smile before looking back down at his hands, one of which was still laced in Iris'.

"Yeah, right. You hear that, Eli? A little karate training, and you're gonna kick some major ass." Iris rolled her eye's at Demetri's condescending attitude once again.

"I'm serious, Demetri. My sensei's the real deal. I'm sure I could get you both discounts."

"Yeah, but do keep in mind he doesn't allow girls." Iris interrupted Miguel's magical speech about the man. "Just wanted to put that out there."

"As enticing as that sounds, I think we'd rather spend our afternoons playing Crucible Control than getting hit in the face."

"I dunno Demetri, girls like a guy that can fight." Iris looked over and playfully winked Miguel's way. "Makes them way hotter." Miguel threw a chip the girls way making her let out a small laugh as the counselor spoke up once again.

"One last thing. While we're all looking forward to the Halloween dance, let's make sure our costumes are culturally sensitive. For example, instead of 'sexy nurse' maybe try 'gender-neutral hospital employee.'"

"Well, shit. There goes my costume idea." Eli choked on his water at Iris' comment, making the three all turn to him. His face flushed not only because he was slightly embarrassed but also because he was thinking of Iris in a sexy nurse costume. "I already bought it, we're not changing it." Iris brought the attention away from the blushing boy as they all began to talk about what they were going as.

Miguel had decided to go as Deadpool, Demetri as a necromancer, and Eli as a plastic surgeon. Eli and Iris had gone to the Halloween dance together last year, and were going together again this year, meaning she was his sexy nurse.

***

"Ta da!" Iris jumped in front of her two friends, giving them their cue to open their eyes. Both boy's eyes went wide as they looked the girl up and down. She felt her cheeks heat up as the two boys stood unable to speak. She looked down at the costume that fit her very well. It showed off all her best assets perfectly, so much so that the two boys looked like fish out of water. "Hello? Earth to Demetri. Eli? You awake in there?" She began to tease the boys who quickly snapped out of their trance.

"You look, um, you look great Iris." Eli stumbled on his words, trying desperately to look anywhere but at her chest.

"Wow, Iris looking good!" The girl spun around to see Miguel, who was not in a Deadpool costume. She gave the boy a quick hug as he joined the small group.

"Oh, skeleton. Classic." Demetri spit the words out, trying to drag the attention away from Iris and her costume.

"Yeah, what happened to Deadpool?" Miguel snorted at Iris' question, informing her that Sensei Lawrence said they had a reputation to uphold. Whatever the hell that meant.